Where do chickens generally lay their first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elsathecat, Jul 16, 2010.

1. elsathecat

elsathecat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I have three 17.5 week old hens (well, 2 hens, one she/he - won't know for sure until we see an egg) and am hoping they will starting laying soon. My question is where will they lay their first egg? We have a chicken tractor with a little nesting box but they spend most of their time in the yard. Does this mean there could soon be eggs randomly in the grass or will they generally at least go back to the tractor to lay?

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    First off: Hens start laying at around 21 weeks, often later, so don't get your hopes up too soon. [​IMG]
    Second: It depends on the hen and where she feels safe. Add a golf ball or fake egg to the nest in the tractor... hopefully she'll catch on.
    Good luck!

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine is almost 16 weeks and just laid her first egg

she laid hers in the nest boxes, but they could wind up anywhere

ETA: they say when youfirst notice they are laying, if they arent doing it in the box lock them in the coop for a week

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. Ikoniak

Ikoniak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Has your chickens started doing the "squat"? That is, when you reach down to pet them, they squat with their wings a little out to the side. This usually means eggs are comings soon!

5. dparadise

dparadise Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    southwest Florida
    My first egg was on Tuesday and she laid it in the neat box, the next 2 that she's laid have also been in the nest box. I'm hoping that the other girls follow her lead. I bought some fake eggs from AC Moore and stuck 3 big ones and 3 little ones in 2 different nest boxes, she's laying hers in the box with the smaller eggs. [​IMG]

6. Kukendame

Kukendame Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    North Idaho
    My chics laid their first eggs Wednesday. [​IMG]
    I found them in the yard, they seem to use the same "nest". Guess I'll have to keep them in for a week or so to get them to lay in the boxes.[​IMG]
    Too bad, they sure love to free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by