Where do I begin with a coop?

...there's bear apparently as there is a mountain behind our property and a creek runs through it I've seen falcons and turkey buzzards flying around too.
Then you will need much more substantial fencing than only 1/2" hardware cloth. You might need chain link or hog panels as a structural backing your HC in order to hold up against a bear wanting entry

Spend 6 months reading a lot here, learn to sift the chaf from the wheat(bad from good info).
Take notes, copy links. I use a Word doc with headings like Coop, Run, Roosts, Nests, Feed/Water, etc. Then you can later search the doc to review and edit.
It'll be like getting a sip of water from a firehose.
Keeping chickens can be easy but it there are a lot of aspects to learn and facilities to build in order for it one day to be 'easy'.

Sustaining a fresh egg supply is not an all year thing, eggs are a seasonal food.
If you want eggs in the winter, you may need to use supplemental lighting and get new chicks every spring.
THIS ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️💯💯💯💯💯

I joined BYC in April of 2022, read a lot of posts but didn't get serious about plans until that October. I kept a physical journal and started a thread here (see the link in my signature). I went through a lot of ideas before I finally decided on building a hoop coop. And even then my plans evolved as I absorbed more information, even during construction!

Back
Top Bottom