Where do I begin with a coop?

ItsaBritThing

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2023
Hi
I'm wondering what size coop I need to start with ? I am planning on only getting enough chickens to sustain us with fresh eggs I'm not sure how many I would need ? Totally new to everything about chickens so please I'd appreciate any help we can get thank you !

Hi
I'm wondering what size coop I need to start with ? I am planning on only getting enough chickens to sustain us with fresh eggs I'm not sure how many I would need ? Totally new to everything about chickens so please I'd appreciate any help we can get thank you !
Depends on how many chickens you're going to get and what type! You can use a coop calculator to get a good answer on that.

Hi
Spend 6 months reading a lot here, learn to sift the chaf from the wheat(bad from good info).
Take notes, copy links. I use a Word doc with headings like Coop, Run, Roosts, Nests, Feed/Water, etc. Then you can later search the doc to review and edit.
It'll be like getting a sip of water from a firehose.
Keeping chickens can be easy but it there are a lot of aspects to learn and facilities to build in order for it one day to be 'easy'.

Sustaining a fresh egg supply is not an all year thing, eggs are a seasonal food.
If you want eggs in the winter, you may need to use supplemental lighting and get new chicks every spring.

^This. Start with doing your homework. I too did at least 2-3 months research, took notes of what worked for others and observing what was not working in my old coop setup, then I did a few sketches before even figuring out the new coop location in my yard. Heck after I built my coop I ended up expanding to a 2nd run, because the minimum run space requirements felt like chicken jail to me when they're not free-ranging every day.

Enough chickens to "sustain an egg supply" is difficult to answer. Some families only consume 6 eggs a week, others you might consume a dozen per day. Heck just last week I saw reference somewhere to families with over 100 chickens and an egg-selling business...yet they don't have eggs reserved for their own family to eat :lau

This is a list of egg laying chickens' commercial farms use.
White Leghorns (300 eggs), Rhode Island Reds (300 eggs), Black Stars (300eggs). t’s important to note that while these breeds are ideal for commercial egg production, they may not be the best choice for backyard flocks. Heritage breeds such as Plymouth Rocks and Orpingtons may be better suited for small-scale egg production because they are hardier and more adaptable to different climates 21
As i have Black Stars and have kept Rhode Island Red and Orpingtons I would suggest first considering whether you want roosters or not and what you would do with the extra roosterS? If no roosters are wanted then hybrid sex links are an awesome choice for egg laying in backyards. These are the sorts of issues that it pays to ponder over before starting.

definitely a lot of research, i researched for months learning everything i could about them before i actually got them. I currently have 6 chickens in a 4x8ft coop which leaves me room for about 2 more if i wanted to expand. im in an urban area so they free range on about 1,500 sqft of grass which isn't too much but it gets the job done.

Back
Top Bottom