My chicken coop is smaller than I expected :(

I hope you got a refund (or at least partial refund) for not getting the size you ordered! I would have been really mad.

i would suggest waiting to rehome as my 7 jam themselves together on a 54" roost bar by choice. also we have a covered run that i winterize by putting tarps over the screen to block the wind and they stay only in the run, never go into the insulated coop🙄
i wanted them to have lots of vertical space so the 54"x8ft run has roost bars(1x4 and 1x6) around the perimeter...they only use one roost at night!
winters are long and cold so they keep each other warm and there is no issue with crowding

Thank you for your advice :) Yes, the run is definitely going to be covered.
And I do plan on adding a poop shelf under the roosting bars. I believe I might have 2 cockerels already, and I cannot have a rooster where I live sadly. So that'll help my situation with space. Also, I have two silkies, no idea if they're pullets or cockerels. So my plan is to add more ventilation, fix the roosting bars, add shelves beneath the roosting bars, and see how all that plays out.
if you have silkies, they will not go on roost bars. a nice milk crate or box on the ground will be good for them

if you have silkies, they will not go on roost bars. a nice milk crate or box on the ground will be good for them
i use 5 gallon buckets from the hardware store or large rectangular kitty litter buckets that have an attached lid that flips open. Both those work great for nest boxes lying on the floor of the run, with a landscape paver in the opening to keep it from rolling and keep the shavings inside (kitty bucket doesn't need the paver). I expect they'd work for nesting in too. I like them because they're washable, reusable, a good size, easy to clean and never seem to die.

winters are long and cold so they keep each other warm and there is no issue with crowding

It doesn't quite work like that.

A chickens hard outer feathers trap air in the softer fluffy feathers which is warmed by the hens body. That is what keeps them warm. They don't snuggle to share body heat like furry animals often do.

Hello chicken parents!
I am a new chicken mom. I found my chicken coop online a couple of weeks ago. The online post said it was a 6ftx5ft chicken coop, not including the nesting boxes. Well, my husband and I brought it home, placed it and measured it because we are building a chicken run off of it. Turns out my chicken coop is only 4 ft wide and 5.5 ft long. It shouldn't be a big deal, except that I already have 10 pullets! :( They're only about 6 weeks old, however, now I'm thinking I may have to rehome a few??
I'm wondering if it'll be okay as long as I make sure I have enough roosting space for each bird? I currently have two roosting bars that are 5.5 ft long. What do ya'll think? I don't want a cramped and uncomfortable situation for my chickens.
Oh, also we live in the northwest so winters are long. Our chicken run is going to be 160 sqft and they will get to free range in our large back yard as well.
I added picture of my coop for reference. I appreciate any advice!
I have a coop that size and I have 12 chickens in there, they only roost and lay eggs in the coop so they are fine. I haven't had any aggression problems at all. I opened the coop one night to check on them and they were clustered together with no space between them in two groups, one group on each end of the roosts with the middle of the roost empty. They do have a 10'x20' covered run and then a 20'x30' yard around the run (I close them up in the run when the weather is bad). I think your ladies will be fine in that coop.

Even with the original measurements, it would’ve been a bit tight. General consensus is 4 sq ft per bird inside the coop and 10 sq ft per bird outside so you’re good on run space but yeah, I would definitely build that addition or rehome some.
I believe that's 4 sq ft per bird of floor space within the coop. On the roost bars my ladies all cluster together and there is a lot of empty roost bar space.

Back
Top Bottom