My chicken coop is smaller than I expected :(

I believe that's 4 sq ft per bird of floor space within the coop. On the roost bars my ladies all cluster together and there is a lot of empty roost bar space.
Yes you are correct, it is floor space. Roost space I think is 1 sq ft or maybe it was linear foot of space per bird but mine always huddled together too. Although in summer they do tend to spread out more, at least mine did.

On the roost bars my ladies all cluster together and there is a lot of empty roost bar space.

Yes you are correct, it is floor space. Roost space I think is 1 sq ft or maybe it was linear foot of space per bird but mine always huddled together too. Although in summer they do tend to spread out more, at least mine did.
Yes, linear for roost space.
But keep in mind that they need room for wing spread to fly up.

I wasnt planning on putting the food in coop Hmmm... those are good questions. I am predator proofing the run, however, Id be so worried about them having access all night to the run. I'm considering having my hubby build an addition to coop for them to access an enclosed food/water area ... My poor husband lol.
Don't worry, he'll get used to the never-ending additions you'll come up with ;) 🤣

I wasnt planning on putting the food in coop Hmmm... those are good questions. I am predator proofing the run, however, Id be so worried about them having access all night to the run. I'm considering having my hubby build an addition to coop for them to access an enclosed food/water area ... My poor husband lol.
When chickens roost for the night, they are in for the night and not likely to go to the run until morning.

Back
Top Bottom