where do i even start?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmmassachusetts, Jul 24, 2011.

1. farmmassachusetts

farmmassachusetts New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    im trying to convince my parents to let me get about 5 laying hens (i would buy them as pullets). i need arguments to show them that getting laying hens would be reasonably easy and beneficial. help me get my chickens!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Um, I think you would be better off (speaking as a mother) not thinking of deceiving them, but just doing your research and presenting your reasons honestly.

3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    x2

4. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    As a dad, I agree with the two other posters.

There are a host of GREAT reasons for raising birds that you can present to them. That approach will get you a lot farther than deception will. One thing I learned early in life (and I'm very grateful for it) is that a lie usually comes back to bite you. And it hurts.

Here are a few points you might consider raising:

1. Raising poultry requires responsibility and discipline. It's an everyday job that teaches you how to manage your time and how to care for your flock.

2. Raising poultry requires that you learn the basics of poultry farming on a small scale. That means educating yourself and learning something that will benefit you later in life.

3. Raising poultry can help you to provide your family with nutritious food products--eggs and meat, if you choose to do both.

I'll let some others offer their ideas.

Good luck.

5. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    You could start by pointing out how many eggs your family uses a week and how much that costs, then point out the fact that eggs from your yard are much fresher and tastier than those that are store bought. Have you seen "The natural history of chickens"? its a short documentary about owning chickens, it also shows the conditions of some commercial egg production facilities. Have you checked into whether or not your city/HOA allows chickens?

And remember, listen to their arguments as to why they dont want them. Chickens just might not be a good match for your family.

Good luck.

6. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    As a Mom and Grandmother and a chicken owner I applaud you. I wish I had realized how much fun they were when I was your age.

These are in no particular order.

1. They eat tons of table and kitchen scraps so they will help reduce your garbage output.

2. The eggs you get will be healthier and free. You can sell extras and make a little money.

3. It will show them how responsible you can be when you plan and care for them.

4. Their manure is great for the garden.

5. Because they can bring a family together-this is a great family project!! I already have 2 very addicted 3 year old grandsons who love the chickens. They help feed and bring in eggs. Again teaching responsibility. This chore is fun most of the time.

6. Feathers are beautiful. Many young people are putting them in their hair. You could make things with them and maybe sell the items.

So many more...but that is what I thought of in the few minutes it took to type this.

Hope this was helpful

7. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    It's all about responcablity...you will have lives depending on you for daily care. Are you up for it? Do your parents trust you to do it all in the pouring rain? Heat? Cold?

A few chickens are easier to care for than one dog.

Do you have a plan for housing?

Have you researched associated costs?

I think you should read, ask questions, read more--then put together an outline of what is involved and how you will handle it. Find out what your parents' concerns are and make sure they are addressed. Ensure that your behavior and chioces in the mean time are showing you can handle the responcablity.

Chickens are easier than many other pets or livestock. You would be improving the quality of the family's diet, becoming more self sufficaint, and eating as locally as posible which could reduce your carbon foot print (x2 if you supliment thier diet with freeranging, kitchen scraps, or produce from your garden).
    Chickens eat bugs: although I have more flies now, have have signifigantly less tick and Japaness beatles.
    They force you to be semi-active and outside everyday--if you lean towards being a couch potatoe this could be an arugement. There is a theriputic benefit to any animal...a plus in your turbulant teen years.

8. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    All good points. Also, I would make sure that they let you have them in your town. You will also need to think about housing. Are you going to build a secure coop? Look at costs of materials and of buying one made. When you make your case you need all the answers to there questions in advance. That's how to look responsible and mature.

9. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I would add the point of the way that the egg industry treats their hens!

10. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:I don't see anything in your post that says you're trying to deceive your folks. [​IMG]

I thik Elphaba 2140's list is pretty good.

You may want to ask them if you can raise the money to build their coop and run yourself. Maybe they are concerned about the expense of raising them. If you earn the money yourself, that may allieviate their concerns. I would also suggest asking them what their issues are about having them, so you know what to address.

If you present your arguments in an organized manner and remember not to push too much, you may end up with some pullets. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by