Where do I put the feeders?

Onetuffchick

Chirping
May 28, 2017
Arlington, WA
I'm about done with my coop and run and will be moving the girls in very soon. I'm getting differing opinions though on where to put their food! They will be locked in an elevated coop at night and will have access to a large run during the day. Can't free range them, unfortunately. Do I put food and water in both the pen and the coop or just one?

I'm about done with my coop and run and will be moving the girls in very soon. I'm getting differing opinions though on where to put their food! They will be locked in an elevated coop at night and will have access to a large run during the day. Can't free range them, unfortunately. Do I put food and water in both the pen and the coop or just one?
If they are going to be turned out real early like mine---my food and water is outside under a top, etc where the feed will not get rained on----I never have food and water Inside. Of coarse if they got to stay in the coop for a while during the day-----you gotta feed and water them in there.

Thank you. They are ok inside at night without water?
Sure----they do not eat or drink during the night----unless you got lights on----no lights in my coops.

Mine go in just before dark and come out at day light. Just for Info---I been raising chickens for over 50 years and have Never had food and water in the coops, BUT my chickens never get snowed in---nor any extreme cold temps.etc.

One thing I have noticed about chickens is that they will find the feed no matter where you put it. I would make sure that it is covered as mentioned before so the rain or snow can't get to it. I also do not have feed or water inside my coop. They come out at day light and go in at dawn just fine.

I am also getting started. I am finishing a elevated coop with attached secure run as I can not free range. I was planning on brooding in the coop (weather has warmed up) and when old enough, letting them have free access to coop and run all the time. Were should I keep the food and water? I was thinking in the coop as that is were they will start.

I'm a 1st timer as well, I keep their food and water outside in the run. But make sure it isnt exposed to rain or it will become a mess like I learned the hard way. I actually made a makeshift small lean-to to put the feeder under.

I'm newbie also. My thoughts most of the time food and water outside. Have an emergency feeder and waterer available to pop in the coop when the weather insists it's a good day to stay inside. TJS you are in Ill. so probably have similar weather to me. Some nasty windy cold days and snow, even blizzard conditions and some severe weather this time of year. I know I won't want my chicks out in 50+ mph winds any time of the year.

If they are going to be turned out real early like mine---my food and water is outside under a top, etc where the feed will not get rained on----I never have food and water Inside. Of coarse if they got to stay in the coop for a while during the day-----you gotta feed and water them in there.

The comments have been helpful. Our "coop" will be moved from under an overhang on the barn to an extra storage room attached to the barn for winter. I'm anticipating the temperature rarely getting below 40 but we will have a heater just in case. Was wondering about whether we had to put food/water in the coop (right now it is all out of the coop beneath the overhang so it never gets wet) and now I feel better about decision to keep it all out of their "bedtime" space. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom