Where do I re-home my Roo? Ideas please?!

FiFiFeather

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
North Washtenaw County
I have a handsome, *friendly* RIR Roo, 21 weeks old who needs a new home. We live in town & can't keep him. Any ideas? My kids are pressuring me to find a home instead of Freezer camp, but if I can't, he's camp-bound! My brother in law is ready & willing to show me how...
D.gif

I had 2 places lined up but both have fallen through. The farmers I know aren't taking a single roo, even to eat
hmm.png
Any suggestions of places to look? Hee hee, Craigslist is over run with free urban roos in my area (some really nice breeds, too!) I am at a loss!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ask around, put up notices in feed stores, Craigslist. Ad in free paper. It took me about three weeks to re-home my roo, after repeated jail sentences. Good luck.

Go to your state's page on this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=233
Talk
up your roo...post pics on that section. I swore I'd never own a roo, & last Sunday I acquired one from a fellow North Carolinian desperate to get her roo out of city limits where he was prohibited. He's a happy boy with his harem now (formerly known as "my girls"), & I'm starting to fall in love.
95611_camera_9_3_11_061.jpg

Great suggestions. Thank you! I love the feed store suggestion. I will ask around there & make up a flyer for him. He's a handsome roo (I think). I'll follow up with all of them. Another CL listing can't hurt...
yippiechickie.gif

Sometimes offering a hen to go with him (as a pair) makes it easier to find a home for the roo. Good luck!

Don't offer him for free...charge $15 for him. To a lot of people, free means it's not worth anything. You'd be surprised who may want a nice looking RIR roo....old-fashioned chicken farmers love the breed and a big, pretty roo is an asset to anyone developing a flock unless they already have one. Advertise in your feed store with a good, clear picture and charge the money....people want to know they are "getting what they pay for"!
lol.png

Chi-rn, that is one gorgeous roo! What breed(s) is he?

He's an EE.... which fits right in with my sex-linked hybrid girls. We're going through a period of adjustment.. he's a bit rambunctious for the girls, who are used to a very quiet all-girl life. But he is beautiful... We live in the country... believe it or not, he was a part-time house chicken with previous owners. Unfortunately, all results of his amorous efforts will just go to from nesting box to fridge!
smile.png

Check with animal control if they know any resources and the state SPCA if they have a facilty fir them. Here in Mass they have a farm run by MSPCA called Nevins Farm in Methuen that takes unwanted Roos. Got rid of 2 that would have made a great Sunday dinner. I would have shipped them to camp but was out voted 4-1. So much for being the ruler of the kingdom.

Last edited:
-Flyers at the feed store
- Craigslist
- BYC
- State threads on BYC
-Other forums?

Make SURE you tell how friendly he is, gentle, etc. That helps A LOT.
I make sure all my Roos are VERY tame. It makes it soo much easier to rehome them.
People might be more willing to take him if you offer him paired up with a hen, although make sure they won't just take the hen and eat him.

Back
Top Bottom