Where do i start/

shej62

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
I want baby chicks....Someone please tell me where to start...
jumpy.gif

What I did was hang out on the forum boards and read as much information online as I could.. then I checked around for local feed stores that had baby chicks. Before I bought the first chick, I made sure I had a lamp for heat.. and we decided to use carboard boxes as brooders for our babies until they feather out some and will move into a rubbermaid container. I "listened" to as many of the post topics as I could, and then I just jumped right in!!
I've had my babies since Good Friday, and I just can't get enough of them!!
Good luck!
yippiechickie.gif

You have already taken the right first step by joining this forum. There are so many smart and friendly people here who know what they are doing! This forum has been an invaluable tool for me. The second thing I would suggest, is to read, read, read! Then, dive right in! You also need to check to see if any of your local farm supply stores can order the chicks for you. If not, then you will need to choose a hatchery. Another thing that you might want to consider is what type of eggs you are wanting from your chickens. There are lots different breeds to choose from and many different eggs! I want the big, brown eggs so I went with the Rhode Island Red's. This next order I make however, will be the Red Sex Link chicks. They are cross bread so that you can tell the hens (pullets) from the roosters right off the bat! They are supposed to be excellent layers and you get the big brown eggs from them too. I think that I am going to order from Cackle Hatchery. They seem to be a very good price. I am going to ask on a post here in a minute what other people think about that hatchery. Good luck with the chickens! They are a lot of fun!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
well you did the 1st thing an that join this board.
2 read all you can here an absorb it.
3decide on the number of chickens you want.
4 build henhouse an run.
5 get you a brooder light feeders an waters.
6 decide what breed of chicks you want.
7 order them.

Quote:
these are the steps I have followed. The only choice you have to make is hatching eggs or hatchery chicks and wha incubator you want to buy if you are to do hatching eggs

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!!!!! This forum is addictive and so are chicks!!!!!!!
After you decide how many you want....build a coop for 10 times that many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
AMEN!! I just found out Paul's Farm and Garden, where we got our first 2 chicks, will be getting another shipment from Ideal on Thursday.. so guess where I am going to be Thursday after work??

We get our chicks from our Family Farm and Home store. They get new chicks most every week, in fact we just went there today and got 4 buff orpingtons, 2 rhode island reds, and 1 araucana. Tractor Supply is starting their chicks on the 15th of this month, so i'm sure we'll stop there too!!

Back
Top Bottom