Where do you all get your "fancy" ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OhTisLove, Jan 11, 2010.

1. OhTisLove

OhTisLove Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    Just like the title says....any old run of the mill hatchery will have the Swedes, the Harlequins, the Pekins, the Runners.

But where are you guys getting those gorgeous Call ducks, and the different colored runners, and the Appleyards, and so on?

Is there an online hatchery that I don't know about? Are you all hatching eggs by yourself, instead of buying ducklings? Please tell me! I want some fancier breeds/colors, but I can't seem to find them! No one locally has anything unique.

I really don't want to deal with hatching eggs...plus, too heartbreaking if some don't make it, for me at least. I'd love to find a place that sells the ducklings mail-order style, but just more unique ones than the average hatchery.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Put an order into Holderreads

www.Holderreadfarm.com

They have all the breeds you listed, except for swedes and pekins...plus their ducks are of very good quality....I have an order in this spring. You have to put an order in quick, though, they sell fast!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. OhTisLove

OhTisLove Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    Quote:-sigh- I have seen them. Just wished they sexed them.

4. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    You have to get a minimum order of 10 anyway...if you want two breeds just get 5 of each and then sell whatever extra drakes you end up with...trust me, you won't be disappointed by their ducks.

5. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Sorry to post soo much but you can also wait until this fall, they will sell all adults of different breeds, they will be sexed then. I think they still have 2009 adults for sale.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Cant be much help as to where to get rarer birds from as I am in OZ, But we have the same problem here. I wanted Harlequin And Cinnamon Runners, and have to go 600 miles to get them.
    I tried a few lots of posted eggs, and had some poor hatches, But also ended up with a few gorgeous colours that I have never seen before.

We dont have many bigger duck hatcheries over here, unless you want meat birds, And many breeders have long waiting lists for some varieties. A lot of breeders wont sell eggs or ducklings either - just adult birds.

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Holderreads used to sell sexed ducklings. I really wish they would go back to it. As it is now, you pretty much have to order adults if you want a particular sex or to be sure you get pairs. As far as the breeds go, ducks are not really that much different than chickens. The hatcheries have the common breeds usually in mediocre quality. If you want any of the rarer breeds, you usually will have to order from a private breeder.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

/hijack

So after this last batch of sexed ducklings I bought from Metzers, I've been wondering... what do they do with all the males?

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Oh and this is what Holderread has in adult bantams at the moment:

Bantam Ducks Available Now

Australian Spotted (photo): Tame, excellent natural parents and foragers, and colorful. Pairs, trios & females available. $38, $50, $75 & $100 per bird.

Black East Indie*(photo): This was the best year we have ever had with these little emerald green gems. We have been receiving reports from customers of excellent show wins with the East Indies they purchased from us or raised from stock purchased from us, including Reserve Bantam Waterfowl at the 2009 APA National in Illinois. Along with their great beauty and their entertaining antics, they are wonderful foragers that will greatly reduce mosquitoes and many garden pests such as snails, slugs, and other types of damaging grubs and insects. Drakes and pairs available. $25, $38, $50 $75 & $100 per bird.
    Special Sales:
    --Pet Quality Black East Indies: Two pairs for $85 (a savings of $15), three pairs for $120 (a savings of $30), four pairs for $155 (a savings of $45) and five pairs for $190 (a savings of $60).
    --Show Breeder Quality Black East Indies: Two pairs for $125 (a savings of $27), three pairs for $170 (a saving of $58), four pairs for $212 (a saving of $92) or five pairs for $250 (a saving of $130).

Butterscotch Call*(photo): These colorful, tiny ducks are colored very similarly to the large Saxony ducks. Pairs available. $100 per pair.

Gray Call* (photo): Petite beauties colored like miniature Mallards. Along with the East Indies, these are the smallest of all bantam duck breeds. Pairs and drakes. $25, $50, & $75 per bird.

Silver Miniature Appleyard (photo): Friendly, excellent natural parents and foragers, and colorful. Pairs and drakes available. $38, $50, $75 & $100 per bird.

Silky Ducks--Gray (mallard-colored), Snowy* & White (photo): Extremely rare and interesting little ducks with lacy feathering. Good foragers, friendly, good natural setters. Pairs available. $25, $38, $50, $75, $100 & $125 per bird.

Normal-Feathered Black Silky: We have a few young Black drakes that are normal feathered, but carry the silky feathered gene. When mated to a Silky female, they will produce half silky-feathered and half normal-feathered offspring. These males should produce very good fertility. $15 each.

10. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Quote:Maybe hatcheries know how to sex eggs? I WISH!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by