Where do you buy eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Willow's Meadow, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Do you get them from a place like Cackle Hatchery or Mcmurray Hatchery? Where did you get yours? If you got them from breeder do they ship them(how do they do that) or do you pick them up? I have chickens........and am toying with the idea of hatching some eggs out next spring(but obvously I don't know anything about it at all!).

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Most of us here buy from members on BYC. You can pretty much find just about anything your looking for here. The hatcheries are expensive on their hatching eggs in my opinion.

Just post what breeds you are looking for.

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I've gotten some from ebay. They are in the bator now so I can't say about the hatching but if you get shipped eggs from anywhere, you are taking a risk of them being mishandled by the postal service. You can also check any animal swap meets near you. They have hatching eggs sometimes.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You might as well save yourself some money and order them off of ebay or BYC -- any of the hatcheries I've checked out seem to charge a lot more for hatching eggs than private breeders.

5. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    I've spent a few hundred dollars on eggs from the BYC auction site. Everyone of them has arrived safe and soundly packed. Excellent shipping. I know also that local feed stores sometimes will sell off their own fertile eggs. My local feed stores don't have the breeds I want though. I've had a tough time finding Giant Cochin eggs. I only found 4 sellers here on BYC and have bought from all 4 of them. It's certainly addictive! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by