Where do you buy goats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hysop

RIP Ryder (2022) & Hammy (2019)
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia
I’m wanting to get some goats and was wondering where you got some goats or where you’ve seen them sold. Over here I’ve been told flea markets but those are closed. Are there other places? And would I have to go pick them up or can they mail them to me?

Best place is to find a local breeder. Auctions or markets can be bad places to get goats. There are some contagious chronic wasting diseases in goats. You don't want to bring that type of stuff home if you can avoid it. Check your local ads, or do an internet search for local breeders. You will have to go and pick them up. I don't know of anyone that will mail you a goat.

Best place is to find a local breeder. Auctions or markets can be bad places to get goats. There are some contagious chronic wasting diseases in goats. You don't want to bring that type of stuff home if you can avoid it. Check your local ads, or do an internet search for local breeders. You will have to go and pick them up. I don't know of anyone that will mail you a goat.

Thanks, yeah I figured normally with livestock of that sort you’d have to pick it up only. Thank you. I’ve found some farms near me but I guess due to what’s going on they’re closed at the moment. Guess I’ll wait til it’s over to do further in depth research on all farms around me and actually get to visit them. Thanks for the reply!!

Are you looking for pets? Or milk goats? Or meat? Just another thing to think about as you wait. Lots of breeds to choose from. Goats also can be escape artists, and have sensitive digestive systems, so doing some research ahead of time will help you be more prepared, hopefully. :)

I guess all haha. One I want as a pet, one or two for milk and my husband wants some for meat (me? Not so much). But yes, I will definitely be doing further research on that. Our neighbor has old goats and they’ve escaped a few times so I have an idea of how much they escape 😂 we have cows so I wonder if they’ll cohabitate. Hmm another topic to research while I wait.

I've also seen them on Petfinder in my area, from local goat rescue groups. Those would be pets only, though.

oldhenlikesdogs, I've heard Nubians are loud, have you found that's true? I love the way they look, but we live on the edge of a neighborhood so can't really have ones that are too noisy.

I've also seen them on Petfinder in my area, from local goat rescue groups. Those would be pets only, though.

oldhenlikesdogs, I've heard Nubians are loud, have you found that's true? I love the way they look, but we live on the edge of a neighborhood so can't really have ones that are too noisy.
I only had one wether and it's been a few years, so I don't remember him being any louder than any others.

All goats are loud, especially if fed grain. They will start yelling every time they see you if you regularly feed treats of any sorts. So any friendly goat will yell more than those more aloof. Nubian tend to be a friendly breed, so they may do more yelling in general.

Females are really loud when in heat. I only keep wethers now. It's quieter.

I guess all haha. One I want as a pet, one or two for milk and my husband wants some for meat (me? Not so much). But yes, I will definitely be doing further research on that. Our neighbor has old goats and they’ve escaped a few times so I have an idea of how much they escape 😂 we have cows so I wonder if they’ll cohabitate. Hmm another topic to research while I wait.
Keep them entertained and they are less likely to escape. Things to climb on and under, tires, balls, mine love the little cots used in daycares lol. They lay on them all the time.

We ended up getting Nigerian Dwarf goats. So cute and friendly. Sadly 2 of them came disbudded or whatever the term is for horns removed. I would have preferred them natural and unaltered, poor things. But their offspring still have their horns and will be keeping them 😊

So far they don’t actively escape, only if they find a hole in the fence which we then fix. But they just stay in the front yard and try to get back to their grazing area so I can tell they don’t escape to be escape artists.

I’m enjoying my goats. We tried separating our 2 month old billy because he was mounting the girls but he cried and cried so he’s back with them (so note to those who think they can get only one: wrong! They’ll cry! Forever!). The older buck headbutts him if he sees him mounting his girls. Eventually both males will be living separate than the females since I don’t want them pregnant year round.

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom