Where do you get your food?

Hey everyone,
My dad has given my hens scratch grains (has corn) for about 8 years now.
after some research I have realized that this can cause fatty liver disease and things close to this. We have started giving them layer feed but it also contains corn and soybean meal and oats. All of these don’t seem to be too healthy for my chickens
where do you guys get your feed? And what is it? And what is in it?
TSC layer pellet. Tuna can once a week . Scraps. Oats. Since it’s hot outside I give them frozen blueberries and watermelon. Leftover food. Oyster shells. Medicated feed for the chicks only. Cat food. That’s it.

Corn is fine, as part of a balanced diet. It's not meant to be the only thing fed, that's totally not okay. I buy a balanced diet at TSC, an all flock feed that's great for chickens of all ages and sexes, with oyster shell in a separate feeder for actively laying hens.
Mary
Same. Purina Flock Raiser or Nutrina All Flock is what I use in their feeder, oyster shell & grit dishes on the side, and just a little scratch (corn, oats, milo, sunflower seed) tossed on the ground daily. I buy whatever feed is freshest as I’ve lost three hens to old/moldy feed—before I knew to check mill dates and throughly look through & smell their bags of feed. My local stores do not rotate stock nor do they sell enough organic product to have it fresh. I buy feed one month old or fresher and use it within a month.

I'm using tucker non-gmo layer.

Corn and soy get a bad wrap often and are wonderful ingredients for feed. People who feed whole grain feeds rather than pellets in bulk feeders have reported issues with fatty liver disease; however, folks who feed daily or twice per day have not had an issue. The assumption is that birds will cherry pick if given a large supply.

My preferred feed is simple: Whole Roasted Soy, Corn, Oats, Alfalfa, Calcium, fish meal and fertrell nutri-balancer. When I could get it, I fed it daily and never had an issue with fatty liver disease.

I'm using tucker non-gmo layer.

Corn and soy get a bad wrap often and are wonderful ingredients for feed. People who feed whole grain feeds rather than pellets in bulk feeders have reported issues with fatty liver disease; however, folks who feed daily or twice per day have not had an issue. The assumption is that birds will cherry pick if given a large supply.

My preferred feed is simple: Whole Roasted Soy, Corn, Oats, Alfalfa, Calcium, fish meal and fertrell nutri-balancer. When I could get it, I fed it daily and never had an issue with fatty liver disease.
My chickens favorite food are Tuna, cans Cat, food Meat, scrapes, and eggs. Watermelolon and frozen blue berry.

I get Modesto milling feed, corn free and soy free. These are the main ingredients ( the others are different vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other supplements)

Organic Milo, whole, Organic Peas, Organic Sesame Meal, Organic Wheat, whole, Organic Barley, whole, Organic Sun-dried Alfalfa Pellets, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Kelp, dried
X2 just ordered the 50lb bags that are on sale. My chickens have feathered beautifully and haven't ever gone through an ugly dinosaur phase. We knew when getting chicks we wanted thm free of garbage since we will eat their eggs

Back
Top Bottom