Where do you put the oyster shell?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
I wasn't sure if this should be in this forum or the feeding one.
hmm.png

Our banty hen laid her first egg today. The shell was leathery...not hard at all. I have a small pile of oyster shell on the ground (just started them on it almost 2 weeks ago). Should the oyster shell be in a feeder? Mixed with their food? Or just in a small pile like I have it? I wasn't sure where to put it.

I add a handful to their feed twice a day. Don't be too concerned about the egg. Sometimes that happens when they first start laying (and sometimes here and there after that). As long as it is available to them, they should be fine once the bugs in their plumbing get worked out.

First of all, hi neighbor! where in nc? We are Raleigh. We have our oyster shell in a bowl between the feeder and the waterer. The girls knock it over all the time though. We keep saying that we are going to get a "hopper" type thing like for rabbits. That way we could mount it to the coop and the little buggers couldn't flip the bowl over. I think as long as its dry and they have access 24/7, you're good.

That soft shelled egg is normal for young birds and nothing to be concerned about. You could just add some in with there feed or p;rovide it in a separate feeder, either way will work. Some people just pour a pile in the center of the run and that would work also. Congratulations on your first egg.

Woah...I didn't expect so many replies so fast! Thanks y'all!

I like the dog bowl idea. I have one of those that is not being used.
smile.png

To mychickensrock: I'm in a small town called Kernersville. It's right between Winston-Salem and Greensboro.
big_smile.png
My daughter just went on a field trip to Raleigh!

Back
Top Bottom