Where do you put your old sand?

Might think about using some shade cloth....or replacing some clear panels with solid ones to block sun and reduce heat buildup?

It has flag stones under the sand ;)

I would remove the sand before starting deep litter then. Deep litter functions best if it is directly on the ground. All the microbes and bugs can make their way up into it. You can still get a decent composting litter on concrete, it's just that more attention needs to be paid to maintaining adequate moisture levels and you may find it will benefit from a jump start of some already composted material or compost accellerator. If I were in your place, I'd choose to remove the flagstones as well (or move the run elsewhere) but that's because I prefer the rate of decomposition that I get having my deep litter directly on the ground.

I did originally have sand in my run. It got horribly wet and stinky so I removed some. A lot had worked it's way down in the soil though so I just turned it into the ground with a shovel and started my deep litter on top. It has come along just fine despite having some sand underneath but I think that's because the sand is in direct contact and mingled with soil.

Back
Top Bottom