Where/how should I store the feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Moselle, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    If I store it in the garage, it will be safer from varmits and weather, but will mean having to haul buckets of feed to the coop. Or I could store it near the coop for convenience but I'm afraid it would get damp/infested. What do you do?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I use an old freezer out in the barn. Hubby drilled holes in the side--i glued screen on the holes to prevent rodents from getting in. Works great!! There are lots of old freezer floating around for free--just recycle them for a new use...

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What about in a lidded garbage can in the coop. You can build a sloped 'rooflet' in the corner just above where it will go to prevent roosting on it. Make sure lid is well bunged on.

Pat

4. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    We use 5 gallon buckets to store our feed. 50 lbs will usually fit in two.

5. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a lided trash can (plastic) and I keep it near the run/coop.
    Just for added precaution I keep a piece of plastic over it.
    So far, (knock on wood) no problems with rodents or moisture, well there was a problem once with moisture when it rained and dummy here forgot to put the lid or the plastic on the trash can!

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i use rubber or plastic trash can to store my feed in.most of the time i can put 150lbs in 1 trash can.

7. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    So with the rubber/plastic, you haven't had critters chew holes? I actually have a food bin (made for dog food with a sealed lid) but I was afraid mice or some such animal would chew a hole through it. I guess we can give it a try - maybe put a small tarp over it for rain.

Thanks - I'm such a nervous mother hen. [​IMG]

8. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    I was tired of mice jumping out at me when I filled the bird feeders. I bought one of those plastic type, dog food bins and leave it out on the deck. Not one mouse! And the bird seed seems to stay fresh.

9. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    varmitts dont chew through it or bother it at all.

10. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I used those metal containers that hold popcorn that you get around Christmas time. Got about five of 'em. 3 hold about 50# of food, I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by