Where is she laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wordgirl, Sep 10, 2009.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Okay, our pullets are 19 weeks old, and our 3 Gold Links are laying (at least, I'm pretty positive it's them.). I also believe that one of our BO girls is also laying, but not in the coop. I have heard her sing the egg song in various places over the last week or so. I'm not that keen on searching all 6 of our acres for a nest.... Do you think she is laying, and if so, how can I convince her to lay in the boxes? Our three Gold Links are all laying in the box, and I've left one egg in two of the boxes to help them remember where to lay. I've put her in the boxes a couple of times to show her the eggs, but most of the time all she wants is to GET BACK OUT OF 'THE TRAP!' Hmm. [​IMG]

Help?

2. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Guess what. I think I just heard one of the Aussies singing, too. Not in the coop of course. In the overgrown garden (or what used to be a garden) on the edge of our front yard. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. boxwoman

boxwoman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2009
    New Milford
    Okay -- I have 8 hens -- 2 RIR, 2 Austerlops, 2 Plymouth Rocks, 2 EE 1 RIR layed her first egg at 21-1/2 weeks. 1 EE started laying about 22 weeks -- she will not lay in a nest box -- but in the main part of the coop. Today one of the PR layed just outside of the next box and it was slightly cracked. Can you still use a cracked egg? How do you get the girls to lay in the boxes? The other 5 haven't layed yet -- or they are laying in the woods somewhere. Any ideas?[​IMG]

4. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I think they may need to be locked into their coop for a few days until they get they hang of the nest boxes.

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] You could try putting golf balls (or plastic or wood eggs – or real, just make sure you mark them and make sure you know which one's the old one [​IMG] Don't leave 'em in too long!) in the nest boxes to encourage them to lay there. You might want to start a new thread and ask those questions there – you might get more answers.

6. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:There were shut in the coop all last weekend while we were away and our neighbor was taking care of them. Should I try it again?

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have experience with only one buff orpington, but mine sang the egg song for over a month before she actually laid an egg. And that was at about 23 weeks. Of course i didn't realize she was actually laying until over a week after she had. I found her sitting on her eggs - 7 of them - otherwise i might never have found her well-hidden nest.

I guess my point is....if she knows where to lay, and she's only 19 weeks, she might not really be laying yet, even though she's singing about it. [​IMG]

8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I've read that to encourage them to use the nesting box you can keep them locked up until late morning - since they tend to lay early morning this gives you a better chance of getting the behavior you are looking for.

But honestly, for me it's all theoretical (book) knowledge at this point. My oldest girl is only 16 weeks and not laying yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by