Where is the orthopedic thread?

tallyho

Songster
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
A chick just hatched out with curled toes. I'm pretty sure it was a position problem in the egg, not genetic or dietary. Seems it's a direct result of its leg being wrapped in its umbilical cord. Poor thing had pipped and only sort of zipped. It had its head out but couldn't maneuver its way out of the egg for hours because that one leg was tangled up. At 1st, after hatching, it couldn't use the leg at all and it was trailing behind. Now it is pulling the leg under the body but the toes are curled. Since there seems to be some progress with it gaining use of the leg I will wait to do anything until tomorrow. Then I'd like to try the shoes. I though there was a really cool post about fixing orthopedic problems but I can't find it. I thought I saved it to 'favorite' but alas it's not there. Other than the curled toes it's very cute and what a fighter!

Update on funky foot...

I taped a cardboard shoe (made from a TP roll) to flatten the foot. I left it on baby for the last 2 days. It was off this morning and I could see that baby was using the foot and the toes were flat but still not perfect. As of a few minutes ago, it looks even better and I can hardly tell anything is wrong with the foot!

66241_lacedcuckoo_038.jpg

Back
Top Bottom