Where should I place my thermometer probe if the heat source is coming from the bottom of the incubator?

drdn

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2019
Hello!

After my first attempt of hatching in my homemade incubator was not so succesful (20.51% hatch rate), I've made some small changes on my incubator, but I have some questions so I can have better hatch rate.

I have two light bulbs on the bottom of the incubator and I've added some cover so direct heat doesn't go to eggs that are above.

Where should I place my thermometer probe? On top of the eggs or on the bottom of the eggs, since the heat is coming from the bottom? Should the probe touch the egg? Should I remove one egg so probe can have some room under/over it?

Also, when I tested the temperature of the incubator without eggs on it, it was consistent temperature on the thermostat probe and another thermometer/hygrometer that I have placed on the incubator. Now, when I placed the eggs inside, the temperature on the thermostat (that turns on and off the light bulbs) differs from the thermostat!

I'm so sorry for so many questions! I hope somebody will help me and I would really appreciate that!

I would guess the thermometer would the middle of egg height ideally. The thermometer should not touch the eggs. Adding eggs affects air flow. It also takes a bit to warm the eggs.

I would guess the thermometer would the middle of egg height ideally. The thermometer should not touch the eggs. Adding eggs affects air flow. It also takes a bit to warm the eggs.
Should I leave some open space under the probe so the air goes directly to the probe, or I can leave the prope right on top of the egg?

Thank you for replying!

Back
Top Bottom