Where to buy chickens from in Australia?

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
I live in Victoria, Australia. Does anyone know of some good breeders I can buy chooks/ducks/turkeys/peacocks from? Doesn't have to be all from the same breeder but good if it could. I'd like it if I could get day old ones but I wouldn't mind either way. Prefer if they delivered.

Thank you

A hatchery is different from a breeder yeah? If so, do they have those here? Do you know of any good ones?
Hatcheries are different to breeders. Hatcheries focus on just hatching chicks and sell them off when they’re young, whilst breeders will often sell eggs, chicks, and chickens. That’s the best way to describe it.

They do not have hatcheries here.

Thank you for your help anyway. If I may ask, where do you get your poultry from? Do you go to an auction or something?
I got my two Bantam Cochins from an auction back in 2019, and I got 6 of my Bantam Silkies from a breeder on the east (I think) of Melbourne. I ordered eggs about a year ago and hatched a Silkie and Polish.

I got my Quail from someone In Wyndham (west Melbourne).

A lot listed on Eggsellent, although when I contacted a few of the breeders, it was a long time (weeks, months) before many of them responded. So that was a fail.

It was made worse because I wanted to get a number of different breeds, so that cut down the number of breeders.

I also tracked down a number of local breeders by other means, but again no success for what I wanted and when I wanted them. Getting really difficult to find older sex chicks, POL and pullets. Most in VIC want to sell fertilised eggs or unsexed day-olds.

Sometimes you will find breeders/hatcheries having stalls at the local markets. With many of the local country markets only operating once per month, that timing was not good for me for my holiday window.

Ultimately I had success tracking down a breeder in Kinglake, who breeds them for a while, then sells on the pullets (mine are about 8mo). I don't think he has much left now and has taken down his ad on Gumtree. It is hit and miss on Gumtree, sometimes loads of ads for pullets and sexed chicks, other times virtually nothing. Like, a few weeks ago, only a few ads, today loads.

On Gumtree, I often see the breeders from Bacchus Marsh, Melton and Preston come up. Depends where in VIC is closest to you.

If you are still looking for more (this post is fairly old), I can give a (rough) list of who I know about in the North Central region mainly. But if you are on the other side of 'town', then also quite a few in South Gippsland.

Back
Top Bottom