where to buy first chickens

pe2014

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Should I buy my first chickens from an individual I don’t know or from a hatcheries?

Depends on what you are looking for, and what you want to pay. I personally think chicks from a hatchery are cleaner as far as disease risks, but buying locally is always an option, especially if you find something you like.

Availability may affect your decisions too as hatcheries can run out of certain breeds. There's also a risk chicks won't survive transport. Getting them shipped at the proper time of year for your climate can minimize problems. Those that order for shipments during colder or hotter weather will see more problems.

So many options with chickens. :)

I think a reputable local breeder is the best. NPIP certification is a plus but not necessary. Check out the local directories and see if you can find what you are looking for :)

Depends on what you are looking for, and what you want to pay. I personally think chicks from a hatchery are cleaner as far as disease risks, but buying locally is always an option, especially if you find something you like.

Availability may affect your decisions too as hatcheries can run out of certain breeds. There's also a risk chicks won't survive transport. Getting them shipped at the proper time of year for your climate can minimize problems. Those that order for shipments during colder or hotter weather will see more problems.

So many options with chickens. :)
I’ve found what I want, good price, so I shouldn’t worry about it? Are there any questions I should ask?

I think a reputable local breeder is the best. NPIP certification is a plus but not necessary. Check out the local directories and see if you can find what you are looking for :)
Oh my gosh, I’m so new at this. Where and how would I find a local directory please. How else would I know if this person is a reputable breeder?

Most importantly I would ask them about their biosecurity protocols.
Everyone should be quarantining new birds.
If they show they should have those birds separate from breeding stock or birds that are for sale.

I prefer Hatchery birds and ordered from my PetChicken.Com but the birds were delivered from Meyer Hatchery or can order direct as well. Check out pricing. I like hatcheries because the stock looked better and I could request the Marek's vaccine on day one and they would administer it. I am also raising mine organic and most farmers near me were not organic, did not vaccinate, and the breed stock did not look as good. You also have a gaurantee with hatcheries against sexing errors. :)

Should I buy my first chickens from an individual I don’t know or from a hatcheries?
I would buy chicks that are in the same area and keep them in a secured area since they wont have a hen or rooster around to protect them ill also buy a heater like the ones that give light and heat i also would reccomend not putting them in a coop outside since its starting to get cold and there are alot of predators that can get them since they are only baby chicks.

Back
Top Bottom