Where to buy my first chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimmie6067, Feb 29, 2012.

1. kimmie6067

kimmie6067 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no experience with chickens. I was wondering is it safe to get them from a farmers market?

Kimmie

2. oldsalt97

oldsalt97 New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    I have never bought chickens at the farmer market but I bought five hens at the flee market. All five hens turned out to be ROOSTERS. You can buy them online or at feed stores that are sexed and had there shots.

3. kimmie6067

oldsalt97-I never thought of that, I do not want roos at all, well not at this time anyway.

Kimmie

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you want healthy chickens and females, you should get them from a hatchery if you are a newbie. If you are lucky enough to find a breeder nearby, that would be good, and a farm store is also good, but sometimes the sex and the breeds turn out to be wrong if they get mixed up. Some hatcheries only sell 25 at a minimum, but others such as Meyer in Ohio will sell as few as 3-4, but they have to charge high shipping for small batches since they have to include heat packs. It is actually cheaper to get 25 than a handfull, because shipping is less with 25. I would not recommend flea markets or swaps because you are risking buying sick chickens or as written previously, roosters.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. kimmie6067

Eggcessive, thanks that makes sense. I have some catalogs and have been looking online. I just want to make sure they are healthy. I have to go to AZ for a few weeks up to six darn it. I want to go but I want to start getting ready for my chicks.
    Kimmie

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by