Where to buy silver

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ChicksterJo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Hi all you BYCers,

I figured I should find some website reviews or info about where to buy silver before I go and actually do it. I hope to get some input, advice, etc.

Thanks.

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Kitco.com

Buy physical silver if you do, and have it authenticated. Some are faking bullion, selling silver plated base metal bars. Oh, and I have heard a wider range of percentage of the silver being sold online and "stored" for you is non-existent. I is worse than paper money, it is digital silver. Be careful, but from the forcasts I have heard, silver could way out perform gold before this blows over. I think you are on the right track. Buy silver that you know is silver, and hang onto it yourself, in a bank deposit box or what have you.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'd say speak to a silversmith of jeweler. They know the ins and outs.

4. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Thanks, onthespot and sumi. I do make silver (sterling silver) jewelry [​IMG] but I was thinking more along the lines of coins, bars, etc. My boyfriend has some silver coins that his brother gave him when they were younger, and that he has collected over the years and I was thinking, better have some of my money in that form than just paper. I'll ask around here too.

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    We buy all of our precious metals from a specialized pawn shop that is reputable. They charge the current rate. They look it up while you are standing there and get all the pricing off of Kitco.com as someone else mentioned.

Shelly

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Gainesville Coins. Tops in customer service, selection and price. Bought some on a dip a few weeks ago @ 32. Silver was over 42 when I checked yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by