Where to find bantams in MA?

I did the exact same research a few years ago, so I can help out a bit!

Littleman Poultry in RI sells pullets for a really good rate (especially if you pick them up) I bought a Salmon Faverolle from her this past summer. She doesn’t really do bantams, but if you’re looking for standard size chickens I’d look there. The girls are fully vaccinated which I love.

Dodge Grain (in Salem NH) and Townsend Farmers exchange both sell pullets occasionally, usually at the end of the baby season. I know a lady in Derry NH that sells Seramas and other breeds off Craigslist (I bought my initial flock from her), but she doesn’t have a website - check Craigslist in the spring/summer and you might see her ads.

As someone stated above, you can also have them shipped. I ordered two started birds from mypetchicken and they came here just fine. I’ve also had birds shipped to me from specialty Serama breeders I met on Facebook, but you run the risk of them getting lost in the mail like mine did (luckily my birds arrived alive, but it was not a good situation).

Good luck!

(Also, if you do end up with a rooster, the guy who runs the Northeastern Avicultural Society will take them)

I did the exact same research a few years ago, so I can help out a bit!

Littleman Poultry in RI sells pullets for a really good rate (especially if you pick them up) I bought a Salmon Faverolle from her this past summer. She doesn’t really do bantams, but if you’re looking for standard size chickens I’d look there. The girls are fully vaccinated which I love.

Dodge Grain (in Salem NH) and Townsend Farmers exchange both sell pullets occasionally, usually at the end of the baby season. I know a lady in Derry NH that sells Seramas and other breeds off Craigslist (I bought my initial flock from her), but she doesn’t have a website - check Craigslist in the spring/summer and you might see her ads.

As someone stated above, you can also have them shipped. I ordered two started birds from mypetchicken and they came here just fine. I’ve also had birds shipped to me from specialty Serama breeders I met on Facebook, but you run the risk of them getting lost in the mail like mine did (luckily my birds arrived alive, but it was not a good situation).

Good luck!

(Also, if you do end up with a rooster, the guy who runs the Northeastern Avicultural Society will take them)
This is all very helpful, thank you! It's funny how difficult it is to find the chickies you want around here -- all I read about is how popular it is to have backyard flocks these days, but god forbid you do a little research and get picky!

I'm slowly coming to terms with the shipping idea. Even if I don't end up with bantams, a couple of the other breeds on my short list are also a little tough to find around here apparently. So it might just come down to timing, luck, and doing enough searching to stumble across what I want/need.

Great to know about the Avicultural Society too. Tucking that bit of info away in case I end up needing it.

This is all very helpful, thank you! It's funny how difficult it is to find the chickies you want around here -- all I read about is how popular it is to have backyard flocks these days, but god forbid you do a little research and get picky!

I'm slowly coming to terms with the shipping idea. Even if I don't end up with bantams, a couple of the other breeds on my short list are also a little tough to find around here apparently. So it might just come down to timing, luck, and doing enough searching to stumble across what I want/need.

Great to know about the Avicultural Society too. Tucking that bit of info away in case I end up needing it.
I felt the same way. I see my chickens as pets rather than livestock. As such I didn’t want breeds that were bred just for egg consumption since they live much shorter lives. I also wanted some rare breeds for fun. Being picky is perfectly fine. Not everyone wants the RI reds or Easter eggers (though I have both and love them).

What breeds are you looking for specifically?

I’m actually a fan of roosters, but not every town allows them, and not everyone wants to listen to them. Having a backup plan is good, especially if you’re like me and don’t slaughter!

I felt the same way. I see my chickens as pets rather than livestock. As such I didn’t want breeds that were bred just for egg consumption since they live much shorter lives. I also wanted some rare breeds for fun. Being picky is perfectly fine. Not everyone wants the RI reds or Easter eggers (though I have both and love them).

What breeds are you looking for specifically?

I’m actually a fan of roosters, but not every town allows them, and not everyone wants to listen to them. Having a backup plan is good, especially if you’re like me and don’t slaughter!
Nothing specific, and I'm not 100% committed to bantams either -- just something I wanted to explore since (a) they're adorable and (b) I'm planning only a small setup, so small birds made sense!

In a perfect world, I'd get Dominique bantams. Mostly because I'm also considering regular-sized Dominiques, but found out they also got bred into bantams and that just sounds lovely. Once March-April rolls around, I'm going to explore my local options first and then if that fails, order from a hatchery and go from there.

Can't have roosters at all here, so must get pullets. All I want is a small flock of ladies to enjoy and receive some eggs in return for keeping them alive and happy. :)

I'm hip-deep in the research phase of starting my first flock come springtime. With only a small coop planned, I'm considering a handful of bantams (no roos, just ladies) but can't seem to find a source here in Massachusetts. One or two places appear to sell them but only as a straight run of chicks, which I can't risk. I'm also not equipped for babies and need to start with pulets. Cost is no issue, but apparently they can't be had for love or money -- unless I'm just totally missing the secret bantam society around here?

I'm open to other suggestions for non-bantam small and medium-sized breeds that are friendly, cold-hardy, and non-broody... that I can more easily source in New England. I love the look of Faverolles but haven't been able to find those either. Help a girl out!
Most places do not sell sexed bantams but My Pet Chicken does. I do think their prices are a bit high and their shipping costs are a turn off, but if you must have girls, it might be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom