Where to find bantams in MA?

castillo_de_luz

Mother of Diamonds
Premium Feather Member
Dec 10, 2023
South Shore MA
I'm hip-deep in the research phase of starting my first flock come springtime. With only a small coop planned, I'm considering a handful of bantams (no roos, just ladies) but can't seem to find a source here in Massachusetts. One or two places appear to sell them but only as a straight run of chicks, which I can't risk. I'm also not equipped for babies and need to start with pulets. Cost is no issue, but apparently they can't be had for love or money -- unless I'm just totally missing the secret bantam society around here?

I'm open to other suggestions for non-bantam small and medium-sized breeds that are friendly, cold-hardy, and non-broody... that I can more easily source in New England. I love the look of Faverolles but haven't been able to find those either. Help a girl out!

Well you could try looking for pullets on Craigslist or something. Or you could get straight run chicks and sell the roosters. It definetly is challenging to find only bantam pullets

Well you could try looking for pullets on Craigslist or something. Or you could get straight run chicks and sell the roosters. It definetly is challenging to find only bantam pullets
As a newbie I think I'm nervous about finding a buyer for the roos -- they're not allowed in backyards here, so presumably there are few places they could go.

Is this a particular problem with pullet bantams, or sourcing pullets in general?

As a newbie I think I'm nervous about finding a buyer for the roos -- they're not allowed in backyards here, so presumably there are few places they could go.

Is this a particular problem with pullet bantams, or sourcing pullets in general?
Well it's just hard to find them. Usually if you find bantams for sale it's for hens and roosters. Keep looking though. I breed Seramas but don't have nearly enough pullets to sell them yet

Both Meyer and Cackle sell sexed Bantams. I believe they are the only two hatcheries that do. Cackle has a small order backyard package with a few bantam breeds to choose from, and Meyer offers all Bantams sexed. They are both pricy but if you want to avoid roos that would be your best bet. If you want to avoid mistakes in sexing, which do happen, there are 1 or 2 I think Meyer has that are sex-linked, so pretty much guaranteed pullets. I think they have sex-linked Easter Eggers if you have no preference in breed.

Both Meyer and Cackle sell sexed Bantams. I believe they are the only two hatcheries that do. Cackle has a small order backyard package with a few bantam breeds to choose from, and Meyer offers all Bantams sexed. They are both pricy but if you want to avoid roos that would be your best bet. If you want to avoid mistakes in sexing, which do happen, there are 1 or 2 I think Meyer has that are sex-linked, so pretty much guaranteed pullets. I think they have sex-linked Easter Eggers if you have no preference in breed.
Interesting. I honestly hadn't even considered going the shipping route, but knowing it's an option is very helpful. The whole roo avoidance thing is definitely somewhat of a local issue around here, so maybe that's one reason I haven't found many places that offer sexed chickies for sale -- they're in high demand and low supply!

I just found a Craigslist ad for some in Lakeville!! I've been looking too. Search south east Ma Craigslist page. Good luck!

I just found a Craigslist ad for some in Lakeville!! I've been looking too. Search south east Ma Craigslist page. Good luck!
Oooh I'm going to keep an eye out going forward. I'm waiting until spring (early spring) to buy and set up my coop, so hopefully there will be some more posts at that time. Good luck on your search -- love finding local chicken people!

Back
Top Bottom