Where to find Wheatgrass Seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mommy 2 Wee Ones, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Hello Fellow BYCers.
    Anyone out there in the Fort Worth area who knows where I can buy Wheatgrass Seeds. The feed store near me has a 50 lb bag, but I do not need that much. I want to grow some for my girls, I am growing lawn grass, but they eat it so fast.

Thank you![​IMG]

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Health food stores and organic markets like Whole Foods generally sell "wheat berries" in small bags or even in bulk. Pet stores sometimes carry it, as do wild bird stores. Usually pretty cheap, anywhere from about 30 cents to about 75 cents a lb, depending on where you get it.

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Sometimes you can buy small kits to grow it. Some places have it as Cat Grass.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Northern tx has several Azure standard drop sites now. Google & look into there food coop. We love there products. I buy a large percentage of my monthly groceries through them each month now. they have chicken feed too. Also for the wheat berries you will need hard red berries to get them to grow in your area. The other varieties don't thrive in our climate. I never tried planting them, personally I grind them for my own flour. I did try & plant rye berries but the wild birds ate them all & I didn't get any rye grass!

5. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    If you only want a little at a time, check the racks of seed packets for "cat grass". I found both wheat and rye grass there. (Thanks for the reminder; I have to find those packs again. I got them before the yard was usable, ruined a tray of seedlings, [​IMG] then forgot about it once the grass and weeds grew. )

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I found someone only 27 miles away who sold me 10 pounds of wheatgrass seed for $8.00.
    I was very happy and now know where to get it when I need more.
    Thank You everyone for your suggestions.

7. tincunze1

tincunze1 New Egg

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi Brenda, could u pls. give me address of place where u got wheat grass seeds?
    I would really appreciate your info. You can also send info to [email protected]
    Thank you!

8. eatwhatyougrow

eatwhatyougrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Walmart sells a 25 pound bag of wheat berries. Its about 14 bucks. Its grown in montana. I cant remember if it is organic but i think i remember the bag says it is not gmo. But for the price it beats what the health food store want to robb you for. I pick up a bag every week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by