where to get a boy dove for my girl dove? Palm Bay FL

lambykin

Hatching
9 Years
May 29, 2010
Hi all,
We have three ringneck doves, two are in one cage together while the 3rd is seperate, in her own cage (because the other two seem to pick at her). All three are now fully grown but were chicks from our original mated pair (they were old & are no longer with is, unfortunatley).
The single girl lays her little eggs regularly & is quite shy, we're thinking of getting her a mate, but the pet store we originally got her parents from no longer sells doves of any kind. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place where we can get mate?

The other two seem to be very close so we've been hesitant to seperate them. We know one (don't know which one though) is definitley a female cause there are often eggs (unfertile though). We are a little bit worried if one was to be a male & they mated as they are from the same parents-inbreeding fears-any advice? How can I tell which might be a male? They are about a yr & a half old now & very friendly.

We live in Palm Bay, Florida. Thanks!

Your pair of birds, when eggs appear in the cage, are there only two? You would think if they were a hetero pair, they'd have fertilized eggs, especially by that age.
I advise against inbreeding, but if this is the first time their family has been inbred recently, it shouldn't cause you problems (unless of course there are some bad genes hiding in them right off the bat).
Have you checked petfinder.com? There's usually quite a few doves for adoption, especially in FL.

There is a posting here for a free male ring neck dove... In NC... He is VERY sweet and hand tame. (I have the other one he came with and this guy is not working out for the lady that took him because he is too verbal and she works from home with calls, etc.)

As for determining sex, from what I researched, the males are more vocal and the females more quiet...

Here is link to post for free dove. He is a sweetie!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=359595

Last edited:
I just got a email from Mickocoo pigeon and dove rescue. They are over flowing with doves that need homes!! They ship all over the country. Anyone who wants to help a homeless bird please check out their website. Alex

Back
Top Bottom