Where to get ducks?

I'm not too familiar with Swedish blues, but they can be sexed by vent sexing I would assume, which is easiest done at a young age but can be done to adult ducks as well. Are you getting them as ducklings?
if where you get them from doesn't know what gender they are, I wouldn't buy them from there unless you wanted to try and vent sex them yourself before bringing them home ( hopefully they would have already sexed them). Here is a link to a video of how to do this if you want to have a look
(but it would be better for someone else to do it for you if you haven't done it before as it can be dangerous and harm the duckling if you do it wrong)
I hope that helps Xx
Thanks, i want Harlequins more than swedish blues. And i heard the beak colors can be 75% right at sexing them. Our feed store sells them as straight runs and as sexed. I would be ordering them if i didnt want a straight run.

I think you can get a minimum of 3 waterfowl from Meyer in the spring. Then you'd only have 1 to rehome or butcher or whatever your preference.
Thanks, i would have to pay a small orser dee of like 30 dollars from Meyer. I actually have to go to a board meeting to see if i could have more than 2. Which i can almost doubt because of the president on my town board is not very nice.

Thanks, i would have to pay a small orser dee of like 30 dollars from Meyer. I actually have to go to a board meeting to see if i could have more than 2. Which i can almost doubt because of the president on my town board is not very nice.
Yeah the small order fee is tough but figured I'd mention it since you can get sexed ducklings in small batches. Just depends what you want to do.

I got my ducks off craigslist. I love them. There are also facebook livestock poultry groups you can join. You could also try a different feed store for ducklings. You could get an incubator and hatch duck eggs too? Or ask around at the feed store farmers who keep ducks. Before the Internet, we had to find out by word of mouth. Also, if you go to the flea market or farmers market and find out who sells chicken eggs, a lot of times they also have ducks but dont advertise it. And sometimes people will hatch eggs for you if you ask them to and pay for the ducklings. Good luck!

I got my ducks off craigslist. I love them. There are also facebook livestock poultry groups you can join. You could also try a different feed store for ducklings. You could get an incubator and hatch duck eggs too? Or ask around at the feed store farmers who keep ducks. Before the Internet, we had to find out by word of mouth. Also, if you go to the flea market or farmers market and find out who sells chicken eggs, a lot of times they also have ducks but dont advertise it. And sometimes people will hatch eggs for you if you ask them to and pay for the ducklings. Good luck!
Thanks, i have a order in at a local feed store.

Im hoping to get 2 females. Im wanting Welsh Harlequins or Swedish Blues which ever the feed store has, when i get them. I heard you can sex Welsh Harlequins at day old, but not Swedish blues is that correct?
Welsh can be sexed by beak color at 85-95% accuracy IF that breed line has been selectively bred for the characteristic. Don't expect hatchery quality birds to be true to that. So hens will have light beaks for the first couple days, by the time the ducklings get to the store they likely will already be darkening. Maybe if you see a couple with noticeable light beaks at the store then you can luck out but it's not 100% and unlikely in that quailty of duckling.

Welsh can be sexed by beak color at 85-95% accuracy IF that breed line has been selectively bred for the characteristic. Don't expect hatchery quality birds to be true to that. So hens will have light beaks for the first couple days, by the time the ducklings get to the store they likely will already be darkening. Maybe if you see a couple with noticeable light beaks at the store then you can luck out but it's not 100% and unlikely in that quailty of duckling.
Ok, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom