Where to get guinea from?

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
Hey, I'm thinking about getting some guineas do you think it would be better to order from a hatchery or there is a guy I know that might be able to hatch me some out. Witch do you think?

Well I ordered mine in December and won't get them until June, but I was after a special color that I hadn't found in my area. If you aren't particular about a particular color variety and you know someone who can help you, that might be your best bet, esp if you don't care for a minimum order of 15 or so.

Well I think the guy I know buys his eggs and incubates them, and then sales the keets. My friend said he has white Lavender and Pearl. I wouldn't mind having 15 guineas but I may not have to room for them! lol If I did order them from a hatchery witch would you suggest?

seems to me they are all pretty much the same. Guinea lay quite seaonally and the cocks wont breed until it gets warmer hence June is about the earliest you will find them. Mine started Mid may but did not have fertiltiy until june

www.texaspeafowl.com

www.JMHatchery.com

www.cacklehatchery.com

www.idealpoultry.com

www.guineafarm.com

to mention a few. Also, you can get on the gfia at

www.guineafowlinternational.org

and find breeders there.

Hope this helps.

15239_gg.jpg

So if I ordered then I wouldn't get my order until June or so?
roll.png
Do the guinea hens go broody alot? How many eggs do they set on? Do they eat rattle snakes? What about flys and red ants? Do they eat alot of grass hoppers?

Thanks for all the help and advice! What are ya'lls favorite guinea colors? Mines are the white pearl royal purple and coral blue! Thanks again Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Probably you can find a local supplier if you start checking your regional farm papers in a month or so. Many people in my area, either hatch their own or order keets to resell. I got mine locally that way, but my requirement was dark colors to make them less of a target for predators. Mine free range and they eat any bug that crawls or flies. Have fun.......Pop

Oh, thanks! In summer we have TONS of grass hoppers that DESTROY our garden! Will they eat snakes or at least warn us so that we can kill them?
idunno.gif
Are they kinda stupid? Would they drown in the horse tank?
idunno.gif
Could they be housed with my chickens? Or would they beat - up on my roosters? And my hens for that matter? If they couldn't be housed with my chickens then I have a building I might could put them in!

I have raised keets with chickens, but thats not my plan for this year. I am going by the book ("Gardening with Guineas") with this venture. I want them to be separate animals from the chickens. You can, however, raise them together. And you may or may not experience problems resulting from it. The sceneros that can occur are endless.
To answer your previous question about color......I would choose a light colored bird, because I am the one to slaughter and prepare here, but my husband is attracted to the purple, so that is what we ordered. Good luck. Rhoda

Back
Top Bottom