Where to get "just a few" chicks

photo chick

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Essex, VT
Sad news. A raccoon got to my girls. I was out of town with husband in charge. Not that it would have been any different if I were there but still.... The time has come and gone for us to be able to order chicks from our local feed store. I was wondering what other resources there were for obtaining chicks? I know of the poultry houses but with a minimum of 20 chicks - I just can't seem to get enough people interested to share the lot. I'm looking for 5 chicks.

MyPetChicken and Chickens for Backyards have minimums as low as 3 depending on location. I know there is still some inventory listed for the near future of day-old classics like RIR, BR, etc.

If you're trying to avoid shipping are there breeders in your area? Are you looking for a particular type of hen?

Sorry you're going through this. Do you know how the raccoon got at them?

ETA: Clearly I type too slowly with a mug in one hand and a nosy Siamese. Kevin beat me to it. Yes, MPC and others!

Last edited:
There are two places by me in Central New York. One is a vegetable stand that also sells goats and pigs and the other is a feed store. they are both still selling chicks. Another option might be an auction, ask a local farmer or go to a farmer's market and ask there. The person selling eggs or fresh meat might know or they might even have some. Worse senario, buy a cheap incubator and some fresh unrefridgerated eggs from your local farmer's market and raise your own. hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks, I will try to contact those places mentioned. I am able to get some chicks locally but they are not sexed and I'm hesitant to go that route. I do know how the raccoon got them...the chickens were free ranged. Minding their own business getting some worms. The raccoon managed to get 4 in one swipe. How does that happen? Same thing last year....found a raccoon IN the coop! She was busy eating the food though. We trapped her and relocated her. Turns out she was a mama and we had to have wildlife rescue come for her 4 little babies. I felt terrible. But at the same time...I don't really want a family of raccoons on my property. We have not trapped this one yet. Not sure if we will. I'm sure she's still around waiting for the rest of my girls
sad.png

I know the feeling with the trapping frustration. We finally caught a woodchuck we'd been battling for a couple years but I made my husband release it a little ways from the yard insead of really relocating because it was the female........and from what I've read she may have little ones now.

Good luck finding your new babies. I'm waiting for my own MPC order and my sister just got a nice healthy delivery from Chickens for Backyards. I bet either would get you nice little sexed chicks.

Back
Top Bottom