where to get plans for a chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by andy71180, Dec 7, 2009.

1. andy71180

andy71180 New Egg

Dec 7, 2009
    hi all. iv not got the money to buy a ckicken coop im looking to keep 4 chickens out my small back garden . is there anywere you can get some plans or ideas on the web or a good book that can be recomended . also what wood treatments can be used?

2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Hey, andy71180 [​IMG]

You can find all the plans you ever wanted right here in this part of the index. You'll have to hunt through it a little bit to find all the ideas you want to use, but it's a lot of fun hunting here! Folks are really nice, too!

Or you can go to the BYC homepage and click on the coop picture. You'll see lots of pics, including progress pics on how some of them were built.

I haven't got mine done yet -- I'm collecting materials -- or I'd have pics of my own to brag on.

and WHEN you get yours started, pics will be welcome. Everyone comes up with different ideas here, and they're all good!

keep posting! maggie

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Your library should have, or be able to easily get via interlibrary loan, books on building a shed (like, you know, a garden/storage/backyard type shed) or playhouse. Those are very easily converted to chickens by adding more ventilation, a popdoor and a roost. There ya go [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. andy71180

andy71180 New Egg

Dec 7, 2009
    [​IMG] thanks guys iv read a couple of books now on rearing chickens and im really looking forward to it . i stay in scotland so rite now its dark very early in the evning im just going to prepare my coop and run and wait till sumer before i get any ckickens.
    i will defo keep you posted on how its going i will be reading all your posts and posting myself look forward to hearing from you thanks alot for your help

5. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
  6. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
  7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    You can look for free plans for things other than chicken coops. Look for large dog houses, sheds, or play houses. They can all be easily modified for chickens. If you need help with how to modify them, just post a link to the plans on here and you'll get lots of help.

8. motostevo

motostevo New Egg

Mar 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by