1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to get REAL Rhode Island Reds--purebred heritages

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by babalubird, Sep 2, 2009.

1. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    I think I have decided on these for our laying chickens due to their prolific egg-laying.

However I understand most so-called RR's are not from the original stock these days but have other crosses in them and therefore may not be as dependable in egg-laying as the real deal.

Where can I order the "real deal" and be assured they are from the original Rhode Island stock.

Thanks.

Connie

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Great question. I ordered 2 RIR from Meyer Hatchery. While they are friendly and healthy birds, they are nowhere near the breed standards. Sometimes I wonder if they are a cross.

I'd like to add more RIR's also.

Thanks

3. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Pine grove on here has the best RIR's.I think he even ships chicks when available. [​IMG]

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    If you are looking for egg layers, then the"crosses" may be your best bet. They were bred for this purpose. Unfortunately, too many people try to show them as RIR. A real RIR is a deep, rich red color, more like mahogony. A lot of time the true show birds are not the better layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by