1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where to get shrink wrap bags for freezing chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Engteacher, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    HI everyone!

I need to order some plastic bags and would like the kind that shrinks when you dip it in hot water. I'll be processing chickens in the next few weeks and need about 50. Do you have a good source for me? I would like to order some this weekend.

Thank you!

2. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    My best investment that paid for itself instantly was a food saver. I'm not sure what kind of bags you are talking about, but good luck!

3. pepper48_98

pepper48_98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Tulsa,Ok
  4. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Thanks! That's just what I was looking for.

5. Bluff Country Chicken

Bluff Country Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SE MN
    Google "Herrick Kimball poultry shrink bags." I used them a couple weeks ago and they worked great. Check for yourself, but I believe Kimball had the best value/deal.

6. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Hmm.....didn't know those were available. I always use the foodsaver and love that, but those bags look nice, too.

7. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Quote:Ditto. I've seen them on commercial birds, but had no idea you could do-it-yourself. I still love my food saver and because we process beef and lamb, food saver works best for us.

8. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    We use the bags from cornerstone and love them. The trick is not to wait until the last min to order. I now order by the case. We have had a busy year slaughtering meatbirds this year..........jim

9. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the great info--I just ordered some bags from Herrick Kimball--our fair meaties (the dozen that don't make it to the fair) head to the processor in a couple of weeks, now they have a place to go when they have completed their visit to freezer camp. Looking forward to trying the bags out--last year, our first time, we used freezer wrap and then extra large freezer ziploc bags--worked ok but think these will be quicker and preserve the meat much better. Will be 'fun' to compare.

10. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
    Quote:X2 !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by