Where to get winter chicks

AOrchard

Songster
May 27, 2020
Wisconsin
Hey all,

So I lost all my hens this weekend to a mink. The little slime! All 16 dead. I can't imagine winter without even a single hen, so I'm trying to get some chicks or something. I've put out the call on local Facebook and Craigslist for hens in my area but at this point it seems like the only thing for sale is roosters.

Since all my hens are gone, I was thinking I can just turn the whole coop into a brooder and order some chicks. I'm in Wisconsin, so definitely winter is coming and will be cold and snowy, but the coop itself generally stays above freezing during winter, and since I have no hens in there the chicks would have a nice big indoor space and I can keep heat lamps on for as long as needed for the chicks to fully feather out and even past that. Heck I'd keep them on till spring if I had to.

Any suggestions on places to get chicks at this time of year or what to do? I'm figuring to order 15 or 20, so they'd have enough buddies to keep warm during shipping? Most of the places I'm seeing stopped shipping for the year though, except for Hoover's it looks like.

I'd welcome some advice. I generally wouldn't do chicks like this, but I just can't imagine going through winter with a totally empty coop 😭

Best,
Ayshaya

I'm so sorry for your loss!! Have you checked out some of the hatcheries? I know Meyer is still shipping them. I got 5 from them a month ago. I'm sure the others are too. I got my first flock from my cousin's farm but most of the farms and feed stores only do spring chicks. The hatcheries will ship all year.

So it sounds like 15 to 25 from a big name hatchery at this time of year would be just fine, safe enough to ship the chicks? Should I try to get a hatchery that's near me, or its enough chicks and warm enough yet it's not too risky to ship yet?

Thanks guys, I was pretty upset to lose them all. I've lost one or two to a hawk or raccoon along the way, but nothing like this.

You aren't too much farther than I am from Meyer (I'm in the south suburbs of Chicago) and mine were at the post office by 9:30 am after shipping around 4:30 pm the day before. I don't know if there's one closer than that but they're in Ohio. Someone else may know of one closer.

Back
Top Bottom