Where to give away my rooster?

I've had good experience posting my extra roosters on my local Facebook group. They went to an older gentleman that has a farm with some chickens so they won't become supper.šŸ˜Š Plus side is you get to meet the locals in your area!

I raced a beautiful red Cornish rooster to breed 5 red Cornish hens, 5 cooco marans hens and 5 Phoenix hens; it did its job but it got ā€œaddictedā€ to jumping all my hens and he was much bigger than my little Phoenix and after it started attacking me I gave it one more chance to give it up, I tied it up all day long and it was better for about 2 days and it went back to the same attacks on his ā€œgirlfriendsā€ and on me. I found a Mexican-American store where chicken meat is sold and I sold it to them. I used the money to buy treats for my traumatized hens. Problem solved!

Apparently, I didn't expect my buff Orpington to be a rooster, but there you go. I couldn't keep it in my backyard without raising eyebrows among my neighbors (I live in a relatively dense city neighborhood).

I tried to post it on craigslist/nextdoor, and I found most people asking didn't sound either sincere or serious. Usually they lived in the similar neighborhood, and some didn't even have chickens in the backyard. I felt that my "Jack" (yes we changed his name from "Rose" to "Jack") would end up worse if I gave him to those people.

I tried to call a local farm and they said that it would be a disaster to introduce a rooster to their big flock, which I wasn't sure, but it may be true.

So what is my choice here? I am even thinking I'd raise him until he crows so loud at which point I will euthanize him... which might be better than giving him away to some random people. Ideally, I wanted someone who had a small flock and lived in the hills / countryside interested in taking him, but seemed like hard to find. šŸ˜­
I would love to take him off your hands! My Rhode Island blue was dinner to a pack of coyotes 2 nights again. Let me know if you live near Gregory Tx.

If the crowing is only a problem early in the morning, you might consider bringing him in at night. We've been doing that with our unexpected guy for months now and so far so good. I wait until everyone is roosting and then go get him before I lock everyone up. Then he goes in a dog carrier in the basement, with. a towel on top and a white noise machine šŸ˜‚. Then he doesn't go outside until after 8am. I can still hear him crow early, but I'm up anyhow so it's not an issue. During the day, nobody seems to mind him being vocal - I've been told it reminds them of the Italian countryside šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Failing that I would look into a farm sanctuary.

Back
Top Bottom