Where to go for pullets now?

What kind of wire was on your coop where the coons got through? If it was chicken wire, replace it with welded wire, IMO. It comes in different sizes, 1/2 x1/2 inch, 1 x 1 inch or 1 x2 inch squares, etc. Fasten the wire to coop with screws with fender washers on each one.

This will help. Chicken wire will not keep coons or the neighbors dog out.

The most cost effective way to replace would be to order dayold ISA Brown pullets from Townline Hatchery. Call 616-772-6514 or go to their web sit www.townlinehatchery.com We ship all over the US with good results. they are also the best layers of large brown eggs.

Quote:
You know from experience how much work, time & expense went towards raising your $3.99 chicks to almost POL, what do you think would be a fair price? What if you had given your new chicks to someone to raise, feed & keep safe, healthy and clean, to make sure they were correctly sexed & indeed pullets, until they were grown and beginning to lay eggs, what would be a fair amount to pay them per chick per week to do this?

I just do not understand how people can afford to raise & sell POL hens for such low prices, cannot understand why buyers expect to pay so little for so much. Sure, if you're thinning out your flock and getting rid of older hens I can understand a very low price tag. And that's something to look for if someone is selling hens for a very low price, check their appearance & condition to make sure you're not buying their spent hens.

I don't think $20 is a high price for a POL hen, for a beautiful friendly pet who will provide delicious healthy eggs for your table. People pay that much & more for things like shoes, purses, makeup, meals in restaurants, etc. and don't think twice about it.

welcome-byc.gif
and I'm sorry for the loss of your first 4 hens. I do hope you can reinforce your coop & pen and find some new feathered friends to inhabit it.

Quote:
Theres lots of hatcheries that will ship day old pullets right now. The OP is looking for point of lay.

Craigslist is good; just be careful if you pick some up that they arent sick. Be sure and check them over before you take them home. No sneazing, wheezing, snotty snoots. PIck them up and actually put their bodies up to your ear. You will hear their heart beat about a million times per second, but you should hear no wheezing.

Back
Top Bottom