Where to keep peafowl for a week?

farm girl99

Hatching
Jan 19, 2016
Hello, I am considering getting a couple of peafowl and plan on showing one or two at fair. The fair is a week long and for peafowl entries you need to bring your own pen or crate. How big would the pen/crate need to be? Would it be better to build the pen/crate or use a large dog crate? Thanks!

Hello, I am considering getting a couple of peafowl and plan on showing one or two at fair. The fair is a week long and for peafowl entries you need to bring your own pen or crate. How big would the pen/crate need to be? Would it be better to build the pen/crate or use a large dog crate? Thanks!

I do not see many Peas at fairs or farm shows, and I assume that is because a Pea would not be very happy being in a small cage for an entire week. When I have seen them at our Farm show, the breeders set up an 8' x 6' chain link dog run with netting on top for them. That way they can at least walk around.

​I do not see many Peas at fairs or farm shows, and I assume that is because a Pea would not be very happy being in a small cage for an entire week. When I have seen them at our Farm show, the breeders set up an 8' x 6' chain link dog run with netting on top for them. That way they can at least walk around.

Thanks, a dog run seems like a great idea!

I've brought peafowl to the county fair. Not an adult male but younger male and female. I make sure that they can walk around. My fair is mid summer and my adult male tends to keep his train on him and I've yet to see a dog carrier that is over 6' long. My peafowl will probably be getting to the fair grounds in an enclosed horse trailer. As for pen I'm going to try and see if my aunt can lend me her dog kennel that is 12'x12'x6'. Because we get the option as well for our pen there's not really any restriction on the size of the pen luckily. Ask the Poultry Administrator if there's a limit on the pen size.

I do not see many Peas at fairs or farm shows, and I assume that is because a Pea would not be very happy being in a small cage for an entire week. When I have seen them at our Farm show, the breeders set up an 8' x 6' chain link dog run with netting on top for them. That way they can at least walk around.
X2

Last edited:
I've brought peafowl to the county fair. Not an adult male but younger male and female. I make sure that they can walk around. My fair is mid summer and my adult male tends to keep his train on him and I've yet to see a dog carrier that is over 6' long. My peafowl will probably be getting to the fair grounds in an enclosed horse trailer. As for pen I'm going to try and see if my aunt can lend me her dog kennel that is 12'x12'x6'. Because we get the option as well for our pen there's not really any restriction on the size of the pen luckily. Ask the Poultry Administrator if there's a limit on the pen size. X2
Thanks! This is very helpful and im definitely going to ask if there's a limit. That's a beautiful peahen! I can see why you got 1st place, congrats!

Thanks! This is very helpful and im definitely going to ask if there's a limit. That's a beautiful peahen! I can see why you got 1st place, congrats!
That's a yearling White peacock. Here's a picture of my White peafowl pair.
The one in the picture is the male on the right and the hen is on the left.

This is a picture of an adult white male. This is not my white peacock. The picture is from one of my friends that has a White male. My White male will look like this someday.

@farm girl99 - Just to be sure you know, @Birdrain92 put many long hard months into working with his birds to get to know them, to tame them enough to handle them, and to be able to show them the way he does. If you are planning on doing more with peas at the fair than just having them penned, it will take a while to get to that point!
I'm sure he would be happy to give you advice, though.

@farm girl99 - Just to be sure you know, @Birdrain92 put many long hard months into working with his birds to get to know them, to tame them enough to handle them, and to be able to show them the way he does. If you are planning on doing more with peas at the fair than just having them penned, it will take a while to get to that point!
I'm sure he would be happy to give you advice, though.
X2

To Farmgirl99 - As for showing Peafowl- Remember- the male has a long train to worry about. Each time you catch him and put him in, or take him out of a carrier, pen or trailer- you risk damaging several of the feathers in the process. In fact, I have never yet managed to catch my birds for worming or transporting with out inadvertently stepping on or yanking out a couple train feathers. oops... Though- I had a male bird brought to me once in a custom made wood crate, that was too narrow for the bird to turn around in- but it was, so that the long train was able to hang out the lower half of the-"dutch-door" type-opening at the back of the cage. It was a pretty nifty idea- but only for short term transport of course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom