Where to place food and water?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by StrawberryMoon, Jun 18, 2017.

1. StrawberryMoon

StrawberryMoon Chirping

Jul 22, 2016
    Indiana, USA
    Where does the food and water go? Does it go inside the coop, or does it go in the run? I've read cons to both. I was hoping to install some gravity feeders similar to "dine a chook" and leave them out all the time. I would like to encourage them to spend most of their time in the run, so I like the idea of having the food outside. Plus I've read that having water inside the coop makes the humidity problem worse. But, if I leave them outside, I've read that rodents will have a hay day all night long. Thoughts? What works for you?

2. MrDeMaistre

MrDeMaistre Hatching

Jun 13, 2017
    The first imperative for food is that it be kept dry, so it doesn't get moldy. The first imperative for water, paradoxically, is that it stay wet. Life is indeed mysterious.

We keep layer pellets in a old galvanized hanging cyclindrical gizmo in the henhouse. We throw scratch (and garbage, on occasion) around the dooryard each morning to get the girls (and boys) started on their daily foraging. We keep a full water bucket here and there around the yard for the geese to water-swizzle their heads: one of life's great pleasures for them, it seems. We keep our no-freeze bucket in the hen house all winter to save a few pennies on the electric bill and so that the birds can enjoy a cocktail of a winter's evening. Wherever the water is, we keep it fresh: that's the main thing, really.

As to preventing non-chickens from stealing food: lotsa luck on that one. You put out free food, you're gonna get freeloaders, mister, not to get political.

wyldflwr likes this.
  3. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Both the food and water are in the run. I usually take the food and put it in the garage at night when I lock them up.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Crowing

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    It is a personal preference. I live in Canada winters are severe and birds do not leave the coop. I keep my feed inside summer and winter. It keeps rodents and wild birds away. I water outside 6 months of the year and inside during the winter months. I do feed scraps and molded bread to the chickens in the run which is gone usually in a matter of minutes.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    getaclue likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I keep their no waste feeder and sealed(no evaporation) heatable horizontal nipple waterer inside the coop all year around.
    Food stays dry, no wild birds, easier for me to refill them both.
    But I have a large coop, plenty of room for feeder, waterer, and separate storage area.

Scratch and other foods get tossed out in run, as well as ice pans in summer.

blackdog043 likes this.
  6. DLE140

DLE140 Songster

Oct 25, 2015
    Pa
    I also keep my no waste feeder inside but keep my horizontal nipple waterer outside in the run. Has worked well for me so far.

7. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Same here like "aart" no waste feeder & horizontal nipple waterer in coop, I have an 8 x 12 coop. All my supplies are stored in my shed next to the coop.

8. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Songster

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We keep water in the run, feed in the coop.

Reasons... want to keep the coop dry, especially in winter, so water is outdoors. Even though the run is covered, rain/snow sometimes blows in and want to keep the food dry so feed is indoors.

getaclue and DLE140 like this.
  9. TwinkleChicken

TwinkleChicken Chirping

Jun 21, 2017
    You should place the food and water close to each other, but never right next to each other, because the food could fall into the water, and vice verca.:)

10. misskes

misskes Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    I have food and water in their run only. This picture isn't the best for showing off their set up but the blue bucket has those neat little cups screwed on to it so they can peck the water to get it to come out and the food is in PVC pipes that have a pop off lid. I have 6 chickens and I only have to replenish everything once a week. Coop.jpg

John Sanders and Jaycee7 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: