Where to place food & water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JoJo52, Jan 27, 2013.

1. JoJo52

JoJo52 New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    Abput 3-4 weeks before the chicks will be moviing into the coop. They will be inhabiting the coop pictured below (technology willing) which sits within a 300 sq ft, penned in area. I'm a bit nervous & have been trying to learn the best transition strategies. Im planning to let them "free runI" within the pen. just realized that I have no idea idea where to place the feeder & watered within their compound. In the area under┬áthe roosting box or out in the pen, or anywhere else? Thx ~Joe[​IMG]

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Just about any place will do to place the feeder and waterer. Some place where you don't have to go around them all the time and are still easy to reach to fill.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My coop forms part of the exterior of the run so that I don't have to go into the run to reach the coop. I keep food inside the coop to keep it out of the weather and away from wandering critters.

I keep the water at the entry to the run. In winter, the container is inside the door to the run so it is easy to reach to clean and fill with the heater in it. In warmer weather, I use a bucket feeding a water line. I can manage this without having to open the run. I keep water outside of the coop, so that any spills don't make a mess, it soaks into the soil.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by