Where to place thermometer in brooder?

Iansmommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Where do you place your thermometer in your brooder. Does it go under the light or away from the light. Sorry, I am so new to this.

We just got our new chicks today, 16 Buff Orphs. I'll post pics as soon as I take some.

Thanks
Leah

Quote:
Right under the light, on the bedding. They might mess it up a bit, so you can just check the temp periodically.

I don't use a thermometer, I just watch the chicks. If they are all piled under the light, they are too cold. All moving to the outer edge, they are too hot. Loud peeping, too hot, too cold, hungry, thirsty or escaped. Spread out nicely, quiet contented cheeping, everything is good.

I periodically check the temp with a themometer but cannot keep it in there. My girls peck at it constantly, jump on it, sit on it and just fuss over it. I watch them. As stated above...if they huddle together under the light, they are too chilly and if they are as far away from the light as they can get, they are too hot. They should be scattered about and comfy looking.

I agree with Frosty and the rest. The only time I use a thermometer is BEFORE I put the chicks in the brooder. I use it to set the correct temp directly under the heat lamp and then I take it out and watch the chicks. They'll tell you if they are comfortable or not. Just be sure to have a large enough brooder so that the chicks can move away from the heat if they are too hot.
smile.png

I went through this same routine when my chicks arrived last Friday. I had the brooder warmed up to what the thermometer was saying was 95deg spot on. No sooner did I put them in than they huddled together in a big ball acting cold. Now the thermometer reads 110-120deg and they're spread all around having a good 'ol time eating, drinking, peeping, and pooping. Who knew...I got Sahara desert chicks...

Big Charlie

This is what I use- It has suction cups on both the display and the little probe on the end. I have it stuck about an inch of the ground on the back wall on my bulb side. These tend to be fairly accurate (I think only $6 too) I've used them with reptiles for years.

Back
Top Bottom