Where to place waterers/feeders in larger coop?

StarfishPrime

Chirping
Aug 11, 2022
Mountain Grove, Ontario
Hey folks,
I’m about to move our flock over to their permanent coop. The house we bought had chicken structures already on the property. I’m just finishing up cleaning/modifying the larger one, which has an fenced run, an indoor enclosure, and a sheltered shaded outdoor dirt area.
71AB8E54-1705-4F7C-BECB-5C9DC7CC5E39.jpeg

Up to now the flock has been separated in half, and I’ve used one trough feeder and one bucket (w/nipples) waterer for each group.

My question is, at the new location would it be best to have one waterer in the shaded dirt area in the back left of the picture, and one in the enclosure (and same for the feeders)? Would that be the ideal placement?

Thoughts? Advice?

My feeders are both under the covered portion of my run. I have a waterer under there and another out in the open run. They use the waterer in the shade more.

My waterers and feeders are all 5 gallon buckets.

Looks like you mowed in there. I'll say get all the limbs and major plants out of it. In about 3 months the chickens will have the rest removed to a dirt floor.

Generally, waterers/feeder should always be under some type of cover. This protects them from heating up too much in the sun and being out in snow/mud. Assuming you can stand up in the covered open area, I'd recommend there to get them out of the coop as much as possible.

BTW, it would be helpful if you put your general location in your profile. Answers like this can vary depending on your climate/location.

Ok, this is great to hear. I think I’ll put both waterers and feeders in the covered part of the run. My nipple waterers are in 4 gallon buckets, and I think I’m going to make bucket feeders like pictures I’ve seen floating around.

Edit: location posted in profile. Thanks for the heads up TooCheep!

Ok, this is great to hear. I think I’ll put both waterers and feeders in the covered part of the run. My nipple waterers are in 4 gallon buckets, and I think I’m going to make bucket feeders like pictures I’ve seen floating around.

Edit: location posted in profile. Thanks for the heads up TooCheep!

I have nothing bad to say about mine. I will note if you have a rooster use 4 inch elbows. My RIR roosters comb was too big for the 3 inch elbows so thats why I have 2 feeders for only 12 birds. One with three 3 inch openings and one with two 4 inch ones.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/

Back
Top Bottom