Where to purchase chicks from?

Pics
I'm in NE Ohio with cold winters and hot summers. From what I've read, Buffs are tolerant to both, larger breed, human-friendly (dependent on individual personality, of course), and dual-purpose. Mainly, it's because we see a lot of people keeping Buffs in our area, which tells me they survive well around here. I'm unashamedly stacking the deck in my favor! 😁
Ah! I know the area well! Any basic domestic chicken really is going to do fine. But seriously, have you looked at Australorps? Boom. There's your chicken. ❤️. They even lay over the winter when others have stopped.

Good idea - we won't have the coop ready until summer (the kit is being shipped and won't arrive until June), so I may just wait until later to see if their hatch dates change.

Also, hi, neighbor! :frow
Hi neighbor! We're lucky to live so close to Meyer. :)

And that sounds like a good plan. I thought you HAD to get chicks in the spring because everyone does, but there's nothing wrong with summer or fall chicks. Some people actually prefer it so the hens don't go into their first molt shortly after they start laying.

Anyway, Meyer's chick inventory can change based on hatch rates and order cancellations (I believe you can cancel with no penalty up to 1-2 weeks before hatch date). So just keep checking in like you said. Good luck. :)

Ah! I know the area well! Any basic domestic chicken really is going to do fine. But seriously, have you looked at Australorps? Boom. There's your chicken. ❤️. They even lay over the winter when others have stopped.
I will do some more reading (I see from your signature that you are a fan!). I'm pretty basic myself, so I'm happy with basic chickens 😆

I will do some more reading (I see from your signature that you are a fan!). I'm pretty basic myself, so I'm happy with basic chickens 😆
For sure! I ended up with Australorps by happy accident, but I'm so glad it happened that way. ❤️

Another heritage breed I love are the Dominique chicken. They have a rose comb, which is less susceptible to frostbite, and Cackle carries a reputable line of them. Speckled Sussex are another great breed that must be having a moment right now, bc I think they tend to sell out as well lol but very friendly, very old breed of chicken, so you know it's hardy.

For sure! I ended up with Australorps by happy accident, but I'm so glad it happened that way. ❤️

Another heritage breed I love are the Dominique chicken. They have a rose comb, which is less susceptible to frostbite, and Cackle carries a reputable line of them. Speckled Sussex are another great breed that must be having a moment right now, bc I think they tend to sell out as well lol but very friendly, very old breed of chicken, so you know it's hardy.
How are the Dominiques personality-wise? Are they fairly docile and friendly? They look similar to the Barred Rock, which is a breed I like, but I'm trying to get more small-combed breeds in my flock, as I now realize the single combs can get frostbite.

How are the Dominiques personality-wise? Are they fairly docile and friendly? They look similar to the Barred Rock, which is a breed I like, but I'm trying to get more small-combed breeds in my flock, as I now realize the single combs can get frostbite.
https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/dominique-chicken/

Here's one resource anyway; there's lots more via the Dominique Club. They are a very nice calm, docile chicken. Of course it can all come down to the individual birds, but the Speckled Sussex is supposed to be more of an actual lap chicken. Lol

I had Dominiques from Ideal -- the friendliest birds in my flock.

I sold them to focus on my Blue Australorps and made sure that the friendliest one went to a family with young kids so they could enjoy her.

I’ve got 3 Dominique pullet chicks on order from Murray McMurray for May. Never had them before, but they sound interesting and also from a historical perspective as well.
The term Dominecker is very common around here for any barred bird most usually now a barred Plymouth Rock. Those kinds of chicken were very common here years ago, but likely not the rose comb version of Dominique today as single comb birds have been and are more prominent in this area.

Back
Top Bottom