Where to put my roost?

egyptchick

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Ontario
My coop is almost done but i need to put in the roost pole. i was going to put it on my north.wall but i am concerned about putting it in front of the vent. The north wall is 4 feet high with a flap vent making up the top 8 inches. I was thinking of putting the roost about 12 inches below it which would give them roughly 20 inches of headroom. will they catch a chill in the winter? I live in northern ontario where we have long and cold winters. i was thinking i could insulate and close the vent for winter. the rest of the walls have large windows or the door. Should i put the roost lower? I was hoping to put a dropping board below the rost so i need at.least 18 inches of headroom.

New to this also but from what i read, in a cold climate it would be best if its located away from the direction that the prevailing weather is coming from i guess to try to keep them warm. Maybe some one else could chime in with more knowledge to help out.just my .02$

I would put where you don't have the cold draft or opposite direction of the wind blow.

Last edited:
In order to get my girls out of there small brooder and into the coop i have decided to put the roost on the north wall and keep the vent closed for now. right now we are having warmer then normal days so i am not concerned about cold drafts. i. not sure if there is much room for the roosts. the south and west walls are taken up with older style slider windows. during the winter these will have to be closed up and insulated. i am more concerned with cold drafts from the windows. here are pics.

90244_img067.jpg

90244_img065.jpg

i am happy to say my girls are now occupying the coop. they seem content so far with the extra room. i will have to build a ramp to the roost before nightfall and i
am having some issues with a metal waterer that was loaned to me.

Should i put the roost in front of the windows or try the north wall? I have at least 4 months before colder weather hits.

They will need the vent open in the winter to let the warm humid ammoniated air out. I would keep the roost low to avoid a draft from the vent. You won't need to open the windows then, but they will really need the vent.

Why not put up several so the birds can pick their favorite spot and move out of a drafty spot. Mine like to look out a window to see if it's to go out yet. Looks like a nice coop. Keep the pics coming
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom