Where to put nesting boxes??

lauranickerson

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Kingsley, MI
Here's a video of my coop right now (I'm not narrating because 1, I hate my voice, and 2, I'm sick and sound like death). This is how it's been forever, and I definitely have found a few flaws. There used to be nesting boxes on both sides, and they always just slept on top of them. They aren't attached, and there's a gap between the boxes and the wall (LOTS of poo collects in there from overnight).

I'll describe the video. First I walk into the entry where the hay/food is one the left, and there's a ladder going up to storage on the right. Then I walk into the actual coop. The floor is plywood and I covered it in sand. Good thought, except I put wood shavings in the nesting boxes and they kicked ALL of them out. My project today is to strain all of the sand and add more. I got a bale of hay yesterday to use that instead.

On the right side is a cage for the chicks that are currently out playing in the sun. On the left are the nesting boxes on an identical shelf. I show the gap between the boxes and wall.

Then I just show the wall in front of me, where is the only place I can think to mount the boxes somehow. My plan for the two shelves are to close any gaps and turn them into poop boards filled with sand/sweet pdz. I saw in on here and it looks amazing. Then for roosting, I would build something like a really wide ladder with several steps that basically start at the closest-to-me part of the shelf and more or less "lean" against the wall (I would secure them, but you get what I mean).

I thought of putting the boxes under the shelf, but then the space and floor blow the boxes would be almost useless and a pain in the rear to clean.

Any suggestions??

0.jpg

Last edited:
You probably don't need all the nestboxes, I would cut them down to 3 or 4 and try to put them to the left or right of the door way that way you don't have to go inside to collect the eggs. You could use the shelf you have for the roost and poop board. Mine were throwing the shavings out also I put a 1x3 piece of pine on the front and problems solved. Just some ideas.

You probably don't need all the nestboxes, I would cut them down to 3 or 4 and try to put them to the left or right of the door way that way you don't have to go inside to collect the eggs. You could use the shelf you have for the roost and poop board. Mine were throwing the shavings out also I put a 1x3 piece of pine on the front and problems solved. Just some ideas.
Thanks for the ideas. Only problem with the first part is that the wall the doorways are on aren't really walls...they are just wire. I'm not savvy enough to figure out a way to go there without building a wall there.

I would sheath in about half of the side wall from the ceiling down past the bottom of your nest boxes. I would return the nest boxes exactly where they are. I would then cut a piece of plywood about 24 inches wide. Lay it on top of your nest boxes and anchor it with a few fasteners to become your poop board.

I would then mount two 2x4 wide side up to become my roost about 3½ above the poop board. Then I would friction fit a piece of vinyl floor over the poop board for easy clean up.

Almost ½ of your droppings will land on your poop board when your birds begin to roost . Plus if an egg is laid during the night the poop board will save the day.

There are as many opinions as there are members.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom