Where to put roost bar and windows...

Bcmacias

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
I know the roost bar needs to be above the egg box, however does it need to clear the top of the egg box? Going to put a window covered in hardware cloth below the vents but don’t want it to be at a level to be too breezy with the roosting chickens...suggestions on how far up to put the roost bar and windows (and how big should windows be)? Both sides will mirror each other...total of two windows and two vents. Extra info...We are also installing a ridge vent. We’ll probably put cutouts on the doors on the opposite end of the egg box with hardware cloth for more ventilation, we’ll also have a pop door. We live in Missouri...extreme weather both hot and cold. Four hens. Thanks!

Attachments

• 56F4140C-B514-4D9E-B554-582F0C9D9429.jpeg
    56F4140C-B514-4D9E-B554-582F0C9D9429.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 2297D5AC-ED32-487B-B4F4-DF9131B51246.jpeg
    2297D5AC-ED32-487B-B4F4-DF9131B51246.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 37
I know the roost bar needs to be above the egg box, however does it need to clear the top of the egg box?
In your design I see that your nest boxes are going to be pretty much on floor level. I would place a board across the front, to keep most of the floor litter from being scratched into the nests. Keeping 4 chickens, I don't think a secluded nest-box is all that necessary. I would simply place nesting material into one corner of area . and leave it open. With 4 chickens, I guess all will be happy using one nest (same), even if you make multiples.

Going to put a window covered in hardware cloth below the vents but don’t want it to be at a level to be too breezy with the roosting chickens...suggestions on how far up to put the roost bar and windows (and how big should windows be)? Both sides will mirror each other...total of two windows and two vents.
Make window opening whatever size fits construction well. I would also have a closable,, outside,, framed Clear Plexiglas window that you would close during cold weather. You still would have daylight entering coop year-round. In summer, keep opened and hardware cloth (installed on inside wall) would provide predator protection. Do same on both sides. In summertime hot, the breeze will be welcome for the chickens. In winter, the roosting chickens will not be affected by closed windows. You still have the round vents in place, and those need to stay open year-round. The ridge vent also helpful for ventilation.:)
So place your roost where practical, and you can always change height/location as you see chickens using it.
There are numerous ways to install those windows. Use your way, or ask and I can give you option in how. (hinged,, slide-out,, screwed on for the season :idunno)
Your coop looks deluxe. :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and,:welcome

I know the roost bar needs to be above the egg box, however does it need to clear the top of the egg box?
In your design I see that your nest boxes are going to be pretty much on floor level. I would place a board across the front, to keep most of the floor litter from being scratched into the nests. Keeping 4 chickens, I don't think a secluded nest-box is all that necessary. I would simply place nesting material into one corner of area . and leave it open. With 4 chickens, I guess all will be happy using one nest (same), even if you make multiples.

Going to put a window covered in hardware cloth below the vents but don’t want it to be at a level to be too breezy with the roosting chickens...suggestions on how far up to put the roost bar and windows (and how big should windows be)? Both sides will mirror each other...total of two windows and two vents.
Make window opening whatever size fits construction well. I would also have a closable,, outside,, framed Clear Plexiglas window that you would close during cold weather. You still would have daylight entering coop year-round. In summer, keep opened and hardware cloth (installed on inside wall) would provide predator protection. Do same on both sides. In summertime hot, the breeze will be welcome for the chickens. In winter, the roosting chickens will not be affected by closed windows. You still have the round vents in place, and those need to stay open year-round. The ridge vent also helpful for ventilation.:)
So place your roost where practical, and you can always change height/location as you see chickens using it.
There are numerous ways to install those windows. Use your way, or ask and I can give you option in how. (hinged,, slide-out,, screwed on for the season :idunno)
Your coop looks deluxe. :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and,:welcome
Thanks so much for the advise, yes...I would love to hear your opinion on installing windows. That’s one of the next steps and I feel stumped as to the design, size, and exactly where to put them. Sounds like I should have enough ventilation in the winter with the window closed, and during the summer the windows can stay open with a breeze which would be welcomed by the chickens. I’m really paying attention to ventilation...it seems to be the biggie for winter and I want to make sure I have enough. Was thinking the windows might need to be left open for winter, but don’t want a breeze to ruffle the feathers. I’m thinking the roost will be right in line with the window which might not be good?? I appreciate your advise!!!

Being you are in Missouri I am assuming you get snow.

Snow can block the ridge venting in winter. Something to be aware of.

That said I don't see any wall studs to help carry the roof load. You should add them now while it is still open(ish).

What are the dimensions of the structure? That will determine how many studs you need.

To easily make a sliding open window, get some channel like pix below, plastic, aluminum, wood. Or make your own from wood on table saw. (if you can)
Channel will hold Plexiglas in place. Visit Home-center for their assortment.

1596825779438.png
chanel.PNG

You can make a window framed in wood, with Plexi for clear portion. Hinged on top or side.
During winter, you can partially open so there is some air movement. As long as there is no direct draft ruffling chickens feathers, it is fine.
With 4 chickens, I think the top ventilation and ridge vent should be sufficient.
If snow does block your ridge vent, then just scrape off snow, or make a decorative cap type peak covering , to prevent snow from blocking it. :idunno
If you see that there is too much moisture, and ammonia smell inside coop during winter, then open windows more, and install wind stop buffers on the outside where windows are.

1596825915202.png

I understand your concerns about roost placement. You can make your roost bar, (2 x 4 wood) Movable/removable, positioned in more than one location. Summer position, and winter position. Or remove totally for winter. and just have a log placed on floor of coop.

I'm not right there with you in your back yard, but I sketched window opening placement in BLUE, and Roost placement locations on inside in RED. The one higher would be the summer one , and the lower one would be winter if you decided you need to keep windows somewhat opened.
rostber.PNG

You are using what looks to me as 3/4 inch plywood. That gives enough support, and the roof span is also not that big. I don't think you need joists installed.
BTW you will have a floor opening so chickens can walk down into run underneath. That would stay open and provide a good airflow thru coop.
Gentle airflow = good ventilation.
You don't have the front opening done yet. I suggest you have a nice size window there (does not need to be openable) so chickens can have natural light inside coop, especially in winter when they stay inside. Nobody like DARKNESS.
Do you know of your plans as to where you will keep feed and water???? My suggestion is in the run potion.

To easily make a sliding open window, get some channel like pix below, plastic, aluminum, wood. Or make your own from wood on table saw. (if you can)
Channel will hold Plexiglas in place. Visit Home-center for their assortment.

View attachment 2280466View attachment 2280465

You can make a window framed in wood, with Plexi for clear portion. Hinged on top or side.
During winter, you can partially open so there is some air movement. As long as there is no direct draft ruffling chickens feathers, it is fine.
With 4 chickens, I think the top ventilation and ridge vent should be sufficient.
If snow does block your ridge vent, then just scrape off snow, or make a decorative cap type peak covering , to prevent snow from blocking it. :idunno
If you see that there is too much moisture, and ammonia smell inside coop during winter, then open windows more, and install wind stop buffers on the outside where windows are.

View attachment 2280468

I understand your concerns about roost placement. You can make your roost bar, (2 x 4 wood) Movable/removable, positioned in more than one location. Summer position, and winter position. Or remove totally for winter. and just have a log placed on floor of coop.
Thank you so much for the pics and advise, it is GREATLY appreciated and VERY helpful. Also glad to hear your reassurance that ventilation will be ok in winter with 4 chickens! I was concerned about that. Thanks again!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom