Where to put the rooster??

The kennel is a great size!
My first thought was to make a divider on the left side of the coop but the door is there. My second thought was a divider under the ramp. Do you typically let the ladies out before they lay eggs in the morning? If you do, you could run the divider up to a nest box (if that makes sense).
I've always had nice roosters, but this is genetic, I love moving the rooster from the kennel in the run to the divider at night so he gets use to me.
I'm sure other's will have ideas too.

He needs to be in a kennel in the coop, with his own feed and water, for at least 2 weeks. With slow introductions after that. There will be some pecking, but not as vicious.
Hi! I’m trying to make sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying to put rooster in smaller crate which would fit inside the coop for 2 weeks?

The kennel is a great size!
My first thought was to make a divider on the left side of the coop but the door is there. My second thought was a divider under the ramp. Do you typically let the ladies out before they lay eggs in the morning? If you do, you could run the divider up to a nest box (if that makes sense).
I've always had nice roosters, but this is genetic, I love moving the rooster from the kennel in the run to the divider at night so he gets use to me.
I'm sure other's will have ideas too.
As far as we know...the ladies have yet to lay a single egg. I look in the boxes everyday (Im very anxious for one of them to lay an egg) and I look around in the yard. No eggs yet.

As far as we know...the ladies have yet to lay a single egg. I look in the boxes everyday (Im very anxious for one of them to lay an egg) and I look around in the yard. No eggs yet.
The reason I asked if they were laying, hens tend to lay in the same nesting box every day. Mine will wait their turn for "their" nesting box, they aren't patient, they wait and complain until the current hens lays her egg and leaves.

With the roosts running above, you may want to keep that in mind when you make a divider if you choose to do this. I would create a roof on the divider to prevent ladies from flying in, or the rooster out, plus any poop that drops will land on the roof and not the rooster.

With the roosts running above, you may want to keep that in mind when you make a divider if you choose to do this. I would create a roof on the divider to prevent ladies from flying in, or the rooster out, plus any poop that drops will land on the roof and not the rooster.
Okay! Awesome! Thank you! We will work on a divider first thing tomorrow. Thanks for the info about hens waiting on “their” box. Good to know ☺️ 😂 😅

The divider has worked really good for me along with the kennel. I have two standard goodledoodles so your kennel is the size I use. Throughout my chicken years I have successful integrated 2 roosters (two different times), and 2 different batches of chicks doing it this way. And chances are you have all the supplies on hand (I love when a plan uses things I already have :))
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom