Where's the fethers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken gal, Oct 2, 2013.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    I have a aracuna (don't know how to spell [​IMG] ) and she has no feathers on her neck. But I have a brown leghorn and I noticed that she is the one pecking her. How can I stop that?[​IMG]

Thanks,
    chicken gal!

2. anirishfarmer

anirishfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2013
    Ireland
    this i'm not sure of but i'll wait with ya to see [​IMG]

Health and happiness

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Feathers missing on her neck could be caused by molting. Chickens often start molting their neck feathers first. But, if you're seeing your Leghorn pecking her, that might be the cause of the feather loss (but it could also be the effect--she might have seen a bare area, and then started pecking).

I would isolate the Leghorn from the other birds, as long as no other birds are picking on your Araucana. Keep her isolated for two weeks, and then introduce her back in. She will probably be the lowest in the pecking order when she goes back with the flock, so it will be a while before she can start picking again.

If other birds are picking at her, isolate the Araucana. Keep her isolated until the feathers grow back in, which usually takes about six weeks.

4. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Thanks a BUNCH!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by