Whew! the prolapse has primarily resolved, now what?

embrown

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Thank you all for your encouragement and direction in treating my hen's prolapse, it has ben 8 days and as of yesterday it seems that her bottom is back to it's prior form. I believe that the frequent warm baths, preparation H, anti-biotic ointment, and provodin Iodine e spray kept it from infection and helped everything go back into place. I have kept her in a small dark pet carrier. Today, she is pecking at the door, demanding more food, she is scratching at and pecking the newspaper in the cage like crazy today, and she is very peppy when we let her out. She has put wait back on as her legs, keel bone, and neck feel normal again. I have been feeding her scrambled egg 3 x per day and watered down chick food twice per day. I increased the chick food to three time per day yesterday, but I think she wants more food. I have kept her supplied with fresh water with electrolytes in it, and gave her poly visol a few times. My reasoning for limiting intake was to prevent her from eliminating too much which seemed to make the prolapse worse, but now she is pooping very well and the prolapse is not reoccuring so I think increasing food makes sense, but I am not sure how much and what to feed her to be best for her complete heeling.

Here is what I need to know now:
what next?
1. How long do I keep her in the dark cage, the goal has been to prevent her from laying and I do not know for how long that would be best. It is no problem to keep her in there, but I do not think she likes it anymore andI will have to go to a bigger cage and keep that dark.
2. What should her food be, keep her with chick food, or should I move her back to layer food, and when?
3. Is there anything I can do to minimize this happening again. It seems like it is a real guess whether it will based on all I read, but ai was wondering if any one had information as to what to do to prevent, or help her so the risk is minimized.
4. How long do you recommend I keep her separated from the flock. I was thinking I want her bottom to feather out a bit so that area does not get pecked, but the longer she is away the harder it is to get intergrated again, but I also do not want to stress her out. It seems to me that I want to get her heeled, back used to the light and laying before putting her back in.

Thanks to all you wonderful BIC folks, you have wisely directed me all along.

Beth

Back
Top Bottom