Which 2 roosters should I keep?

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
Hello! This year we ordered 23 chicks. 5 are females that we are keeping for laying, and the rest are heavy-breed males that we will butcher. Next spring, I am planning on hatching quite a few chicks from eggs that I collect from my flock. We have an existing flock of laying hens (as well as lots of show chickens), so I was wondering which 2 males we should keep to breed. I would like the cross-bred chicks next year to be dual-purpose and really pretty. That way, the females would be kept for laying and the males would be large enough to eat. We already have a Naked-Neck rooster in with our hens just FYI. Here is a list of a few of the breeds of hens I have that would possibly mate with the 2 roos I keep. New Hampshire Red, Rhode Island Red, Silkie/polish, Polish/Duccle, Easter Egger/Orpington, Bluish/salmon/white Easter Eggers, Red Cochin, Buff Orpington, Naked Neck/cochin, White Leghorn, Cubalaya, LOTS of bantam cochins (I will probably only breed these to bantam cochin roosters, as I show them), white Polish, Splash Whiting True Blue, Whiting True Green, Silver Penciled Rock, and a few others. And here are the male chicks that I would love to keep: Beilfelder (sorry for spelling), Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Dark Cornish (not 100% sure on gender), Light Brahma, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, Dark Brahma, Partridge rocks, Silver Penciled rock, White Orpington, Barred Rock, White wyandotte, and some others that are turning out aggressive/not as great as the others. I would love to hear input on which two males would be worth keeping to get some awesome chicks next year! Thanks.

I would keep roos based on how they treat other flock members and their tendency for lack of human aggression. If your goals are to butcher, any of those will surely give you beautiful colors in the offspring. I would select for the above traits and size. The largest hens, they determine chick size, and the biggest roo possible.

I'm partial to Naked Necks myself. My flock is a mix of a lot of breeds mixed with them and pretty darn colorful to boot.

im just bias but i would def keep the blrw and either the gold laced or the white wyandotte my males are huge i have 5 month olds ready to be processed

Thanks guys! I had actually just decided last night that I wanted to keep the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. He is really friendly, doesn't mind being handled, and is nice to his flock. And yes, Naked Necks are AMAZING

Totally agree with above. Its not so much about the breeds or crosses... its about the rooster himself. So long as he treats the girls right and doesn't see humans as a threat. My previous rooster, who was stolen, was beautiful with the girls and with the humans and the dog. He was a pure bred, and I'm told his breed is known for docile, respectful roosters.

Back
Top Bottom