Which antibiotic while worming? (Flukes)

avidity

Songster
Dec 30, 2020
Western WA
I just realized one of my young ameraucana pullets has a horrible case of worms, and I'm very sure they're flukes. She has a large amount of growths around, and substantial internal swelling by, her vent. I'm starting her on equimax today.

I'd also like to put her on a course of antibiotics to help her heal and fight off any secondary infections. I've searched around, but I haven't found anything on general antibiotic recommendations. Can I just put her on amoxicillin? Tylan seems to be too targeted for providing a round of general help.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20210527_115308.jpg
    20210527_115308.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I just realized one of my young ameracauna pullets has a horrible case of worms, and I'm very sure they're flukes. She has a large amount of growths around, and substantial internal swelling by, her vent. I'm starting her on equimax today.

I'd also like to put her on a course of antibiotics to help her heal and fight off any secondary infections. I've searched around, but I haven't found anything on general antibiotic recommendations. Can I just put her on amoxicillin? Tylan seems to be too targeted for providing a round of general help.

Thanks in advance!
Is she alive?

Equimax is not going to do anything.
Your pullet has maggots on her, she has FlyStrike.
Take her in, soak her, this will help get some of them off. Then start picking the maggots off. Work on getting the maggots gone.

You could use a product like Swat to help rid them as well - but this needs to be seen to immediately. The maggots will kill her.

Get some help from a parent, friend or neighbor.
Figure out the cause of the maggots in the first place, she may need antibiotics to heal depending on the cause or if she survives the cleaning of the maggots.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

@Wyorp Rock

She's alert. I brought her in a week ago for what looked like slow paralysis from Marek's, with the plan being to make her comfortable until culling. She can flop around, but that's about it. When I gave her a bath today, I noticed the swelling and what looked like a tiny transparent inchworm.

But if I'm looking at flystrike, I'm taking her to a vet.

Thanks so much!

You guys were correct, it was maggots. It was so bad that the vet recommended putting her to sleep. Poor Gem. I feel terrible knowing I could have prevented this.

Thank you both for your replies!

Back
Top Bottom